Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I need advice

I need advice

I am making a baby quilt with a large applique in the middle of it. I intend to quilt it by just diagonal stitching. I really don't want to quilt/stitch over the applique. Most batting recommends no more than about 4" between stitching.

How do I handle this? Can I hand sew some of the batting to the applique before I put the backing on?

I just don't know what to do. Any advice is appreciated!

Sue

Blog Entries
    there are a number of battings that allow up to 10" between quilting lines- like warm & natural and dream poly....maybe one of those would fit your needs better. you can quilt the appliqued block first- then add it to the quilt= it will mean it will be *puffier* in the final quilt-which may be quite nice.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    Usually I stitch somewhere on large appliqués because they tend to ripple/wrinkle if left un quilted. Are there any details that you could just straight stitch around? If the appliqué has to be left un quilted than use a batt which allows up to 10 inches.

I agree with Tartan - you really should stitch somewhere within the applique to hold it down. It doesn't have to be machine quilted, you can hand quilt it if you think that would look better.

If the applique has several parts to it instead of 1 solid piece...you can stitch in the ditch along some of the lines and it looks fine. Can you post a picture?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You could do outline quilting around the applique pieces. As for the grid, many grids stop at the applique, skip the applique and pick up the grid line once past the applique. You would need to mark the continuation of the line with a ruler. I use batting that requires a minimum of 10" between lines but that is way too wide for me. I prefer my quilting lines closer together.