Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need advise about cutting >

I need advise about cutting

I need advise about cutting

Old 03-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by S. Adkins
I need advise about how to cut accurately.

Hi ladies. I need ideas on how to cut accurately with my rotary cutter. My pieces all ways seem to be a little short or longer or whatever. I put little circles of sandpaper on ruler, and I stand up when cutting. Do you have any suggestions?

I went ahead and put the baby quilt I'm working on together rather then keep recutting.

Thanks for any help.
I had a teacher of quilting tell me I was turning my cutter into the ruler too much and I know I do that. So I was 1/8 inch off everytime. Also she loosened up the tension screw on the cutter. It was too tight. Hope this helps. I have been quilting 11 years and just found out these 2 tips.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:29 PM

If you want to get one of those suction cup things, try a hard way store, they are way cheaper. My hubby got me one for Christmas from a quilt store, cost $16, went to Harbor Freight, and got another for about $6. I am finding a lot of things that can be used for quilting can be gotten at hardware stores...go figure!
Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 AM

Make sure you're holding the rotary cutter straight up and down. When I first would cut, I would hold the thing so it was on a 45 deg angle from the table... seemed like a good idea at the time. Then someone said to hold it so it's perpendicular to the table, right up against the ruler, and otherwise not at an angle. That helped with the pieces.

Oh, and make sure the rotary blade isn't so tightened that it can't move. Another newbie problem for me, I would tighten the washer as much as it would go... problem is that blade wouldn't move freely. So it needs to be slightly loose to move easily but not wobble.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 AM

If you are still having trouble, I agree with watterstide. go to a quilt shop and ask for help. They will be more than happy to help. heck, I bet if Joanns isn't busy you might even get help there too. Just depends on who is working.