Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need advise about cutting >

I need advise about cutting

I need advise about cutting

Old 03-20-2010, 02:43 AM

I need advise about how to cut accurately.

Hi ladies. I need ideas on how to cut accurately with my rotary cutter. My pieces all ways seem to be a little short or longer or whatever. I put little circles of sandpaper on ruler, and I stand up when cutting. Do you have any suggestions?

I went ahead and put the baby quilt I'm working on together rather then keep recutting.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by S. Adkins
I need advise about how to cut accurately.

Hi ladies. I need ideas on how to cut accurately with my rotary cutter. My pieces all ways seem to be a little short or longer or whatever. I put little circles of sandpaper on ruler, and I stand up when cutting. Do you have any suggestions?

I went ahead and put the baby quilt I'm working on together rather then keep recutting.

Thanks for any help.
Sometimes those suction type handles work well for me. My big one I bought the one from the hdw store that is supposed to be used in bathrooms---same thing but cheaper than the ones at the fabric store. For long narrow rulers there are L shaped acrylic bars that stick on.
But mostly it's just practice, practice, practice. Are you using the marks on your ruler or on your cutting board? If you're using the ones on the cutting board turn it over and have the blank side up until you get used to using only the marks on your ruler. And remember, MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE. If that doesn't work, try cutting just a skosh bigger and then trim down. It's always better to error on the bigger side---there's room to fix that. I removed my sandpaper discs because if you have to move the ruler the fabric moves too. Sometimes it's a matter of the cutter moving the ruler if you're pressing too hard right before you think to yourself, "Hey, I need a new blade." Keep that blade sharp. :D
Old 03-20-2010, 03:48 AM

My pieces always seem to be bigger, so after I make my blocks, I square them up using the lines on my cutting board, cut them to size to make perfect squares. Then I make all my squares the same size that way they all line up when I sew them all together. Lace
Old 03-20-2010, 03:58 AM

Thank you!! I will try those ideas today. I might check at Walmart for a handle.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:59 AM

I had that problem as well and bought a Quilters Rule ruler that has little ridges on the measuring lines so you can get it completley on the edge of your fabric. I also make sure while I am cutting that the top of my fabric is lined up straight on my cutting board.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:21 AM

I have a June Tailor Short Cuts. Its a sort of large mat (ruler) that has openings every 1/2" for your rotary cutter. Really is nice!! :D
Old 03-20-2010, 04:31 AM

maybe your holder the cutter on an angle, instead of straight up and down?
honestly, i wish i could come to each one of you that has trouble cutting, and help you. i took a beginners class at joanns when i first started.
do you have a LQS near you, maybe someone in there could show you, watch what your doing, and show you how to cut. it would only take 10 minutes..
Old 03-20-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by farnsworth
I had that problem as well and bought a Quilters Rule ruler that has little ridges on the measuring lines so you can get it completley on the edge of your fabric. I also make sure while I am cutting that the top of my fabric is lined up straight on my cutting board.
this is very good info.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I have a June Tailor Short Cuts. Its a sort of large mat (ruler) that has openings every 1/2" for your rotary cutter. Really is nice!! :D
I have this one too and I love it.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Google Goddess

Nice information, we all learn together