Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I  need to ask about a machine >

I need to ask about a machine

I need to ask about a machine

Old 11-01-2018, 05:17 AM

So agree with Onebyone. I purchased an Eversewn 20 based on reviews I had read because I wanted to replace my cs6000i to carry to retreats. It is a wonderful little workhorse. Thinking now that I wish I would have gone up a step to either 25 or 30. Thinking I will have to be satisfied for awhile since I am having a difficult time explaining why I need 4 sewing machines and have already given 3 others away. Hubby is a hunter and we share this little joke, "the sewing machine is the gun and everything else is bullets". Seems to work for me!
Old 11-01-2018, 08:02 AM

I agree with Onebyone and grammasharon, I would definitely look at the Eversewn line or I might look at the electronic Juki line. I would probably choose the Eversewn 30.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:14 PM

I just visited Sewing Parts online and searched for Bernette feet. I don't know if all Bernettes are the same, but what they're showing is mostly snap-on feet. They have a set of six. Included is a hopping foot that looks to have a low-shank attachment, and I can't tell how the walking foot attaches, but probably low-shank if the other one is. It says they are guaranteed to fit Bernette sewing machine models: B37, B38, and no other type or brand of machine is listed. Your best bet is to ask the dealer a lot of questions before you buy. The Bernina foot attachment is definitely unique, but it's not the same as the Bernette's. My Bernina is a vintage one from the 1970's, and they changed the attachment for the newer models, but it's still very different from any other brand.

Not all snap-on or low shank feet are the same. The distance from the point where it attaches to the needle hole may be different or the diameter of the little rod that snaps on may be different or the width of the rod may not be the same as those for other machines.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:57 PM

The older Bernettes were made by Brother. The newer Bernettes are made by Janome. They are not Berninas. They are made For Bernina.

The Bernette for $200 doesn't have control of the stitch width. If you want control of the stitch width, you'd want the Bernette 35, which sells for $249 to $299. The b35 is my favorite Bernette. However, I wouldn't buy one if I could afford a Bernina. The lowest end new Bernina is the B215 for around $699. The Bernina we sell the most of is the B330 for $799.

If you buy online, you don't get the Bernina service warranty -- which is 1 to 5 years of free service and instruction.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-09-2018 at 04:48 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-02-2018, 04:56 AM

I bought two of them for granddaughters. The girls have constant trouble. I seem to do alright on them but they are not that great of machines. I am a BIG Bernina fan!!!
Old 11-02-2018, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

I was at my Bernina dealer to have my machine serviced last week and they had several brands of Eversewn so I have a feeling they have something to do with that brand.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:11 AM

I used my high school graduation money towards the purchase of a new singer sewing machine … it didn't last as long as my mother's (that I still have) … 10 years later my husband gave me a Bernina for Christmas and it is still a great machine (over 30 yrs.) … I love it. I have a small Janome for classes because my Bernina is heavy for me to haul. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2018, 03:20 PM

I don't believe the Bernettes are the same quality. I have talked to some who were very disatisfied. I just got a Juki 2010Q and it is phenomenal. It has some features I love. I don't have to hold the thread when I start, it stitches really fast if you want it to and it has a thread cutter you can raise the needle with a button.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:38 PM

I’m trying to decide between the juki 2010q and the Bernina 480. They are significantly different in price. Both bring portability although the juki weighs about 4 lbs. more, and both have something to offer for fmq. The juki would be better for bag making which I love but the Bernina has the stitch regulator and a zig zag.
Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
I don't believe the Bernettes are the same quality. I have talked to some who were very disatisfied. I just got a Juki 2010Q and it is phenomenal. It has some features I love. I don't have to hold the thread when I start, it stitches really fast if you want it to and it has a thread cutter you can raise the needle with a button.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
I'm confused so you mean even though the machine says Bernina on it, that it may not be a Bernina??
They are to my understanding made by a japan or china company for Bernina, but technically not the same quality as the Berninas.