Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: irioning board cover

Blog Entries

irioning board cover

Yesterday I made a new cover for my ironing board I got the material at the fabric shop several years ago so decided it was time. It didn't turn out exactly perfect but it works just fine. I also put a piece of warm and natural batting under the fabric. I had all the stuff to make it just put it off glad it's done.

Great idea! I have three I swap out so they can be washed. I suppose I get pretty heavy handed with that spray starch with some things. Seems to me it is a pattern from simplicity.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    new year, new cover... perfect
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

A new cover is my next project. Learned what happens when you're moving too fast and start cutting without slipping the cutting mat underneath. Thought I'd just replace it with a store bought one, but my board has a two inch drop around the edges. Store bought won't fit!!

The cover pattern I have is Simplicity, too, RedGarnet. I prefer to use fabric heavier than quilting cotton, although I remember my grandmother just adding layer after layer of old sheets!
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Blog Entries
    I agree to use heavier fabric than just cotton I think my fabric is a real heavy duck

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful way to start the new year. I have made a check list of a few things that I’ve done to start the 2018 sewing year...I cleaned my iron, soaked and scrubbed two of my cutting mats and am taking my new machine in for it’s one year service.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    There are lots of good tutorials on line for making ironing board covers. When our local WalMart has a heavyweight unbleached muslin in stock, I purchase 5 yards, it makes great ironing board covers and I use it for hand embroidery and quilt backing. I always prewash it as it tends to shrink
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

DJ
    It's so nice to get a project like that finally completed! TGIF (Thank God It's Finished).

I have some sewing machine covers I'd like to be able to say that about.

I like having a fresh ironing board cover so well that I made 2 and wash one while I use the other. It's a small luxury that makes a big difference. I use starch before I cut and it's a bit messy.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

I inherited 2 rolls of pillow ticking (sp) a few years ago. That made a beautiful top for my regular ironing board and my two ironing pads. 12 x 12 and 24 x 24.

I iron all fabric before it goes into my stash, so I sometimes do marathon ironing and the heavy duty tops hold up great.

I also use the heavier fabric for my covers. Although I did use a heavy polished cotton once that held up really well too. I make hanger dust covers for my clothing closet out of it too. It is a real life saver in the high desert where I live. We get blowing sand. I just change it out for the season. But, I think I would like all of my hangers to have one.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I have an older board that is longer than the purchased covers. I have directions & fabric but wanted the gray fabric & couldn't find it. Checked Vermont Country Store. They had what I wanted & the size I needed. A little spendy but if it lasted as long as my last 1 it's OK.

I have made mine with cotton duck with fun patterns. They last a long time. I make mine with a draw string so them can be snugged up. I put a standard ironing board pad underneath. It never shifts. I, like most of you, use my ironing board every day. Mine is durable and washable.

I know this is an older thread but seemed to be a good place for my question. I need to make a new ironing board cover and wondered if a purchased pre-quilted fabric would be ok? I have some I haven't used in a long time and using it would help clear out a fabric shelf. Some of you may have good reasons not to that I haven't thought of.
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:6

Blog Entries
    I would want my board to be smooth. I wouldn't like the indentations of the quilted fabric.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I just purchased a fresh ironing board cover, put it over the old one but I should put in a better padding.

As far as the pre-quilted fabric goes, Alice, I'd do some tests first on whether it is a poly backing and how that holds up. I use a really hot iron and polys tend to get crisp or otherwise deteriorate on me. Last ironing board cover had a really thin foam and that started disintegrated and leaving little shreds under the ironing board. An old towel or piece of warm & natural type batting is what I will eventually get around to putting under the new pad.

Power Poster
    I use some suitable fabric - cotton broadcloth, sheeting, duck, denim - whatever -

larger than the ironing board - and then I use elastic and safety pins to make it fit.

It's a bit of a bother to take it off to wash it and put it back on - but I can make it "fit" quite easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I serger the edge when I use quilting weight fabric and then thread string thru the serged edge.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Just picked up some new silver fabric and cotton batting to make a new cover for my big board. Noticed the silver fabric was starting to show wear and tear. Now to just get it done.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    There are several tutorials on line about how to create a new ironing board cover. I have made a couple using those instructions and heavyweight unbleached muslin, plus insul-brite and a layer of cotton batting. These instructions make a great cover that works well.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

great inspiration! i have been gifted with bags of various types of fabric, mostly quilting cottons, for several years. one bag had some great printed denims which i made messenger bags for grand darlin's and one had a wonderful bright striped piece of denim, about 1 yard, that i kept aside to make a cover for my little table top ironing board. i think the stripes, besides making me smile to see will be helpful in pressing and keeping square/straight edges. maybe this winter i'll get it done --finally!
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.