Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help deciding about my Quilt >

I need help deciding about my Quilt

I need help deciding about my Quilt

Old 08-21-2010, 11:01 AM

I actually think that black or whatever color your butterfly bodies are made of, would pop the color.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
My first response is, it's your quilt and there are no rules. You can do it how you like. But I understand how you might be uncertain as to what is the best thing to do.

I had this same problem once, and I put a different fabric around the outside of all the blocks, and used the other fabric on the interior sashings (if that makes sense).

Here's a picture if it helps. I used the floral on the interior blocks and the solid around the outside. Don't know if that helps with your quilt, but your fabrics and blocks are lovely. It'll work out beautifully regardless of what you decide to do.
Wow! Your quilt is really lovely. It moves the eye across the field so nicely that I just want to soak it all in. Good job.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Your butterflies are beaut. but for my eye, the dark one looks out of place. Maybe consider using a softer one & save the dark one for another project. Maybe a pillow top or a wallhanging.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:05 PM

I think it would look really nice wi the green print/
Old 08-21-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by irenecarter
I need help deciding if it's ok to use another material to frame my blocks of butterflies. I started my framing with a mint green and ran out near the end. I need to frame at least five more blocks. I can't find any more of the mint so I found this print that was as close as I could get. My question is do you think I could put this around the middle block and on the four corners and make it look ok. This is my first quilt. I also wonder if I should quilt as I go using material that matches each butterfly as backing or should I send it out to be quilted?
I wouldnot use that green since your quilt blocks are mint and that is a yellow green, you would be better to use a contrast and it will add some emphasis and make it look deliberate especially if you develop some type of pattern to the way you set the blocks. :D
Old 08-21-2010, 05:54 PM

I agree too that if you scatter the borders all around they should be fine this way.
Let us know what you decide ok ay?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I think you made a good choice on the alternate fabric and the placement you chose would work out well. I would not send it out to be quilted but try something on your own. You did a great job so far why not give it the finishing touches yourself.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:36 PM

I would alternate a darker mediium tone and that white one gets lost so I would probably go around the outline with a med. or darker gray. You might add another color to the wings be it embroidered or some beads. That block is way too plain. Look thru your embellishments and jazz it up a little. You could do that with all the blocks on the wings. Just a thought. I do like the butterfly design.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:56 PM

Thanks for all your help. I wasn't satisfied with the butterflies, I think the fabrics are too much alike, but it's what I had. Anyway I found some scrap material with butterflies in it. I cut them out and placed them on the left corners of the blocks. I've changed my mind so many times on how to set them together, that I'm not sure at this point how I'm going to do it. I know the black one is way to dark for the rest of them, but it was my favorite material of all, so that's how it got there. All of this was made from material that I already had, except for the white. I thought I'd try this before I start something with really nice material and a special pattern. I can't begin to tell all of you how much it means to have your tasteful eye watching out for me. Again thanks
Old 08-22-2010, 03:35 AM

I think it would add even more interest to your quilt. Great butterflies.