Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I need help figuring out the pattern/process

I need help figuring out the pattern/process

This is a picture of a quilt I purchased many years ago at Yonkers. It was made in another country and hand quilted; I've always loved the pattern and yet can't seem to figure out how to replicate the pattern. The blocks are 5.5 inches finished, and I believe I would use 4 inch squares cut diagonally to make the triangles, but I don't know how to complete the block with the white cross pieces. My brain is a bit of a fog lately, but perhaps one of you wise women can help me with the math/diagram. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Such a pretty quilt. I'm terrible at design but there are people here who will help you. Can't wait to see what you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
    This is a picture of a quilt I purchased many years ago at Yonkers. It was made in another country and hand quilted; I've always loved the pattern and yet can't seem to figure out how to replicate the pattern. The blocks are 5.5 inches finished, and I believe I would use 4 inch squares cut diagonally to make the triangles, but I don't know how to complete the block with the white cross pieces. My brain is a bit of a fog lately, but perhaps one of you wise women can help me with the math/diagram. Thank you in advance.
    I should add that the cross pieces are just one piece and hand quilted down the center to look like two pieces.

You add sashing between two triangles. Do the same for the other side.
    then add sashing between the pairs. Trim after the block is finished.
    Make sure the sashing is long enough to reach the corners.

Power Poster
    Sew the white sashing between 2 triangles to make the larger triangle, for both halves. Once the halves are done, sew the halves together with the long white sashing between them for 1 block. Pretty quilt.

Blog Entries
    Here's a pattern. It's called "Triangle Treasures"
    http://susansquiltcreations.blogspot...quilt-x-2.html

Hmm, looks like it's no longer available...
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 01-04-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Thank you - it is quite simple now now that you mention it and the fog has lifted. My husband is quite ill and my brain is not up to par I guess. I appreciate you both for the quick response.

Very pretty quilt. So glad you got some help figuring it out. Carol, I hope all will be well with your husband, my thoughts are with you. Quilting can be a great outlet for life's stresses. Happy quilting!

A pretty pattern. Good thoughts for your husband and for you.

Stack some scrappy squares. Cut them from corner to corner, twice, creating 4 triangles out of each square. Then mix them up so that you have 4 triangles from 4 different prints. Cut your sashing. Insert sashing between pairs of the triangles, then between the two sashed pair units. Square up your blocks. Set them with same size sashing between blocks and rows. Very simple.

eta: Oops, looks like several of us gave her the same answer.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is a really pretty design! Sewbizgirl and others have given great instructions above; the only thing I would throw in is not to worry about the finished block size. Cut your squares all the same size, cut in quarters and sash, and let them be whatever size they end up at. Being exactly 5.5" (or whatever) really isn't important, as long as the size is consistent.

Good luck!

Sew 2 triangles with white strip, make 2, then sew long strip between them, square up, done.

The soft pastels really make this quilt! Lovely!!

Blog Entries
    Hilarious! The identical quilt is on my bed right now. I bought mine at Kohl's. My thoughts on recreating this quilt are-eliminate the zigzag edging on the top edge. It's "pokey" when you pull it up for warmth. Symmetry/shemetry, I'm all for comfort.
    Last edited by quiltmouse; 01-04-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Here's a pattern. It's called "Triangle Treasures"
    http://susansquiltcreations.blogspot...quilt-x-2.html

Hmm, looks like it's no longer available...
    On the picture of the back of the pattern, it starts with 6" squares that she did some fussy cutting for some blocks.
    Click on the picture to 'view image' and you might find more information on supplies.

Blog Entries
    It's a sweet quilt - have a good time making it! I'll not repeat what the others have said about the pattern- they have it nailed. I certainly hope your husband is better soon. It's hard to be coping with that alone- it does shut down the brain if you're feeling alone, so be sure to tell yourself that we are all here and surrounding you with quilty love and comfort.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Love this quilt - the pastels make it look so soft and sweet.

Thank you all for the good advice and encouragement. My husband's illness has really frozen my brain at times. We are so thankful for the prayers and support of friends and now I can add my quilty friends love and comfort too. God Bless you all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmouse View Post
    Hilarious! The identical quilt is on my bed right now. I bought mine at Kohl's. My thoughts on recreating this quilt are-eliminate the zigzag edging on the top edge. It's "pokey" when you pull it up for warmth. Symmetry/shemetry, I'm all for comfort.
    That is hilarious! I loved that quilt and it has seen it's share of wear over the years. I agree that I would have to change the edging design all the way around it. I am currently searching through my pastel fabrics - which are pretty limited. Hmm, I may have to go shopping.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for the good advice and encouragement. My husband's illness has really frozen my brain at times. We are so thankful for the prayers and support of friends and now I can add my quilty friends love and comfort too. God Bless you all!!!
    You have lots of people all over the country who are praying for you all.

Isn't that a restful quilt? Love it. The "pokey" edge certainly adds to the appearance but understand it might not snuggle well. How about making that into the border for a nice finish and then have a straight edge for the binding? It could be "on point" or as simple as "postage stamp" strips.

Blog Entries
    That is hilarious! I loved that quilt and it has seen it's share of wear over the years. I agree that I would have to change the edging design all the way around it. I am currently searching through my pastel fabrics - which are pretty limited. Hmm, I may have to go shopping.
    I also have this exact same quilt I bought at a rummage sale. It has no batting, just quilt top and backing. BUT it already had holes in the top for a curtain rod. Ok, don't shame me - I didn't do it!!! The good news is, I've had it up in my bathroom for years (just changing out the liner) and see it displayed every day, makes me happy and love it.

Lovely design. Hope to try it too, some day.

I really like this design! How wide are the sashing strips? Are they the same inside the block as between them?

Love this pattern and the colors used on it. Are you doing the edge the same. That is really awesome.