Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help focusing >

I need help focusing

I need help focusing

Old 04-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

I have only done 1 doll quilt and am working on my second 1, but I think about how I want something to look, and then see if I have fabric to match for what I want, as I don't have the option to buy fabric, I use what some wonderful ladies have sent me, and I go from there, I may not have the color I want so I change that as I go. Penny
Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 PM

When I started to quilt, I didn't want to commit to a whole quilt so in my class I made the blocks the teacher wanted (that's another idea, take a class) and then I made pillows. That Christmas my family got pillows made of all my sampler blocks! Another idea I had when i read your msg. A friend of mine picks graphics she likes, like a box of kleenex for instance, then she finds fabrics in the same colors to put together. That way she knows she will like the way they look together. good luck to you! Keep on quilting.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:31 AM

You have the same problem I did. I would swear I have ADHD. so what I do is look at my books or patterns until something grabs me. I take a picture of a quilt (if possible) and instructions on cutting and piecing the block. I take a little swatch of the fabrics I choose and glue to to one of the block patterns. Then I take out the book and go directly to work on what I have chosen. As new ideas come to me, I keep a book near by and jot down the idea for future projects.

The other secret that I have found is to make "Scrappy" quilts--a jumble of colors and patterns without worrying about harmonizing. The quilts are really beautiful.

Just make yourself concentrate on the project at hand.

Lucille
Old 04-10-2010, 07:57 AM

I understand your frustration. I have the same problem. I can't pick a pattern, tho there are several I want to do. Problem is I can't decide which one to try first, and then I can't pick colors!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:10 AM

So many quilts--so little time. One quick hint--problems with colors--go to your local quilt shop. Customers as well as store employees usually pitch right in and help out with the fabrics.

You could also find a quilting buddy, and quilt together--each helping the other to stay focused.
Lucille
Old 04-10-2010, 01:54 PM

I am taking in all this! I too have a problem with colors.. it overwhelms me everything looks like it should go together but I need some direction of color choice. I love most colors.. kinda stay away from bold colors though as a whole quilt idea. I am a pastel to medium color type of person. Some dark colors .. just for some reason cannot seem to grasp hold of the battiks as many here are so fond of. So I am thinking when I do decide of an actual quilt to make, I may do blocks of plenty, or sampler as it is called. Right now I am on table runners .. studying the bias binding making and sewing at the moment.. hopefully it goes well :)
Old 04-10-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by cminor
Thanks for all the advice. The problem with the sampler is I don't think I have enough fabric to choose the colors - again I know I am being too critical, but when I do a sampler quilt - I want it to be really nice. Not something that I just learned on. Crazy I know since that is kind of the point! :)

I am going to do a turning 20. I realized you can't get the pattern for free so I made my own up. I did 3 blocks already and I do actually feel like I got something acomplished. I am going to use all lighter colors to try and make the different pcs blend a little. This is one case where I don't want any of the pieces to pop. I have a bunch of FQ's and although I know I am not cutting them the best way, I am getting it done. And I do like it.

Maybe if I complete a project I will get that sewing room my DH keeps promising!

I have done wall hangings - but I don't really want to do something that I won't use. I want to make something that I can curl up with on the couch.

If I get home early enough tomorrow - and if there is no snow (Crazy right!) like today I will take some pictures with the sunlight.

It is amazing how differnt the colors look in sun vs. house lighting.

Thanks for all the advice and I think it really did get me going in the right direction.
I don't think that you need that many colors to do a sampler. I've forgotten who it is who has a first quilt sampler with beautiful colors of cream, pink, and green. Each block is different and beautifully done. That is one of the quilts I would like to "copy." Someone must know which quilt I'm speaking of. In the meantime, I'll be looking in my bookmarks to see if I can find it for you. Also, I took a class where we used only four colors throughout the whole quilt. We make twelve blocks.

I suggest you go to the store (or to your stash) and select a background fabric and 3 or 4 (maybe just 2 or 3) other fabrics that look nice together. Then do as another post suggested. Go to quilters cache and choose one block at a time. Make that block using fabrics from your previous selection. Then choose another block from this same set of fabrics. And on and on until you have a collection of blocks that can be put into a quilt -- wall hanging, small throw, large throw, quilt. It's your choice. Or make a bunch of pillows.

:lol:
Old 04-10-2010, 04:07 PM

You know, I think part of my problem is that I really am a ligher color type person, but then I see the bright quilts or the blocks that pop and I like those too. So I get confused because I know what I like, but then see other things I think I like and I kind of go in circles. I ended up running around all day today so no quilting, but I am excited to sew all my turning 20 blocks together tomorrow. They are all light colors so I might have to put the pcs in a bag and just pull. Otherwise I start looking at everything too closely and I never get anything done.

Then - I do think a sampler quilt is a good idea. I know there are a ton on quilters cache I like. So if I can pick 3 or even 4 colors and keep in that family I think I can do it. :)

Thanks again to all that gave advise. And those who feel they are in the same boat. This has truly helped me so I hope it will help others as well!! :)
Old 04-24-2010, 12:50 PM

I'd go with sampler myself.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Its done! As soon as it was finished it ended up under a Puggle (Pug/Beagle) so I threw it in the dryer.

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I will post picutres later :)