Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I NEED HELP From the wonderful ladies on the Forum >

I NEED HELP From the wonderful ladies on the Forum

I NEED HELP From the wonderful ladies on the Forum

Old 12-29-2014, 05:49 AM

There was a beautiful Apple Core quilt on this board recently. That's the first that comes to mind. Or the traditional ones -log cabin, etc. Have to say, I'm with you with those fabrics being ugly. You will probably need to look at these from a distance. They say no fabric is ugly if cut small enough (LOL) I really think you may have to use a constant fabric of you own to give it some 'pop'. Good luck, and sorry to say, I'm glad it's not me.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:38 AM

Looking at the fabrics and keeping in mind what your friends want for the design, perhaps you could piece together the fabric and use it as a background and then applique your scene on top of the pieced background. The fabric seems to be very soft in contrast and may work out well for a background. I also have seen rolling hills made out of various pieces of fabric. Check out McKenna Ryan patterns and maybe get some inspiration there. Good luck and I hope this idea helps.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:43 AM

I noticed you had a variety of greens (and weren't there some pale blues as well?) that would work nicely for an outdoor scene.

Look up watercolor quilts. Your fabrics might work nicely in that genre.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I have nothing more to add but please when you're finished a photo of your creative artwork!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:12 AM

Try Bonnie Hunter's website, she has many free patterns at the top of her page. She says if it the fabric is ugly it is not cut small enough. She is a very down to earth quilter and teacher with many ideas. I receive her emails daily and enjoy following her, one of my favorite.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com
Old 12-29-2014, 10:28 AM

You are an extremely kind person to even consider taking this on. There are difficult fabrics that don't do much for each other, with a landscape design that usually depends on fabric selection for success. (Personally, I find the overall concept somewhat bizarre, too.)

Could you get them to settle on something else, like several square, decorative pillows? That way, you could group the fabrics in the best way, the design possibilities would be way easier than making a picture, there'd be more than one of them to be shared, and they could also be displayed instead of used.

hugs, Charlotte
Old 12-29-2014, 08:17 PM

A friend did a memorial quilt for her Mom--used non-cotton fabrics and then on the top she put lace, buttons and even some costume jewelry of her Mom's --all with a picture of her Mom printed on cotton as the center.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:46 AM

I'd like to help, but I'm a man.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:37 AM

If you use soft interfacing to stabilize the pieces, what about a crazy quilt...you could incorporate color by using decorative stitches by machine to connect the pieces...or...could you use the blue, for instances a stream and some of the other fabrics as flowers enhanced with outlining by machine?...just a thought...
Old 12-30-2014, 05:58 AM

Another thought albeit a bit different.....could the pieces somehow be used as clothing hanging on a clothesline suspended between two trees or sheets or pillow cases and that would explain the different Fabrics...again, just what popped into my head.....