Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Victorian style baby quilt help

Victorian style baby quilt help

I need to make another baby girl quilt. I've been told that the new mother is going with a pale pink and cream Victorian theme. Yeah, I get the pink & cream part, but what exactly is "Victorian?" I need guidance, please. )
    Jo

Lace embellishment?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    How about lacy looking fabric and maybe add some ric rac for trim? or do like a Crazy Victorian baby quilt. ANd very fluffy like they used to put in baby's prams.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Google Victorian Baby Quilts, I just did and there are all kinds of ideas. very pastel.

Blog Entries
    I just watched Quilting Arts and a lady was doing smocking and such on squares of fabrics. then adding borders around those, making interesting square in a square type blocks. These look great in beige's and cream. very Victorian looking. search images in Yahoo for photos and go from there.

After my mother passed I inherited her Victorian bedding set. It is beautiful. Done in beige velvets, eyelet, satins and all done in a crazy patch setting. I have never used it. Her bed was king sized. I keep thinking I will find the time to cut it down.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I like this site better for images as I always think of embellished quilts with hand work, a bit of applique, embroidery stitches, a mix in of satin/silk/velvet/brocade fabric, embroidered pictures/faces/objects, lace, etc.

What a wonderful project!

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...70.uwNschkob84

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    I think I might do an all cream/off white quilt in squares with surface embellishments like pin tucks, fancy stitches etc. make sure whatever you put on the quilt that is is part of the surface so it does not pose a choking hazard. I might include a couple of squares with the twisted bow tie embellishments that allow a toy to be attached. So she must be expecting a little girl?

I think I'd probably just try to find Victorian looking fabric, rather than doing embellishments. You certainly don't want buttons or other things the baby could swallow, unless the quilt is not intended to be used.
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

Quote Originally Posted by JenelTX View Post
    I think I'd probably just try to find Victorian looking fabric, rather than doing embellishments. You certainly don't want buttons or other things the baby could swallow, unless the quilt is not intended to be used.
    I agree with the embellishments making the quilt unusable for baby. I too, would probably just go with very victorian looking fabrics - very floral typically - and a pattern to enhance the fabric choices.

Blog Entries
    You can do a keyword search "Victorian" at eQuilter to get some ideas of the look of the fabrics.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    For embellishments, instead of buttons, you could stitch lace rosettes or flowers from doilies or make a few yo yos with smaller yo yos centered to look like a flower. You could purchase the different trim and/or ric rac to highlight different areas. Place a few hexagons like GFG with yo yos in the center also. I like to go to the thrift shops and purchase some of the older dresses with the lace trim. I have one that has a satin top with a velvet skirt and lace attached to the satin top. Got it for $8.00. Old prom dresses are great for that also. I have couple doilies with embroidery and lace trim. Made out of muslin.

This article might give you some inspiration..

http://www.womenfolk.com/quilting_history/victorian.htm

Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    I made a quilt for my GD that was a sampler of different techniques. I would call it Victorian. It had inset lace, rouching, sharks teeth, pintucks etc. It was done on white batiste. Then I put a really pretty turquoise under the batiste and quilted it. I edged it with 2 color prairie points. It was gorgeous. The photo is on my iPhone and I don't know how to post photos from my phone.

Victorian crazy quilts are beautiful. You could do one in assorted pinks and creams with pin tucks, laces and embroidery. That way it could still be "baby friendly" ...no buttons or other unsafe embellishments. Also, Google heirloom baby quilts for idea's.

Try this lady's blog. She has several quilts that may give you some ideas

http://katrosblog.blogspot.com/2013/....html?spref=pi
    Mommy of 2 beautiful kitties & 1 adorable husband

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll have to pick one of the inspirations and get started on it quick. The baby shower is at the end of January.
    Jo

Blog Entries
    I would use a toile fabric. There are many pastel colors.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone