Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need ideas..... >

I need ideas.....

I need ideas.....

Old 06-25-2013, 05:28 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
SavedByGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 297
Default I need ideas.....

I'm making this for my son/future DIL for their wedding. The large white square will be approximately 20" square and the small white squares will be approximately 10" squares. The bride specifically requested an initial in the large square. I'm looking for ideas of how to fill all 3 squares. Was thinking about trying to put a really light photo in the background with the initial in the foreground......suggestions...thoughts...ideas??? How would I do that, and would it look okay?? BTW, ignore the handwritten notes....they aren't accurate.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00126.jpg  
SavedByGrace is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:45 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 58
Default

Maybe the initial in the large square like bride requested and then pictures of the bride and groom in the 2 smaller squares. Are you thinking to piece, applique or embroider the initial?
Jbug is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
SavedByGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 297
Default

Probably applique.....I don't have the ability to embroider, unfortunately.
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Maybe the initial in the large square like bride requested and then pictures of the bride and groom in the 2 smaller squares. Are you thinking to piece, applique or embroider the initial?
SavedByGrace is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 AM
  #4  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 16,801
Default

Not sure what the initial is, though I am guessing it is their last name.
If so ... what about her initials in one block, and his in the other?

Also wondering ... since the bride requested the initial, perhaps she has a suggestion for the other two blocks.
QuiltE is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,340
Default

Back in the day, when they used to embroider towels, didn't they put the last name as a large initial and his first name and her first name as small initials? You could do that.
michelleoc is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
GrannieAnnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: S. W. Indiana
Posts: 7,484
Default

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace View Post
I'm making this for my son/future DIL for their wedding. The large white square will be approximately 20" square and the small white squares will be approximately 10" squares. The bride specifically requested an initial in the large square. I'm looking for ideas of how to fill all 3 squares. Was thinking about trying to put a really light photo in the background with the initial in the foreground......suggestions...thoughts...ideas??? How would I do that, and would it look okay?? BTW, ignore the handwritten notes....they aren't accurate.
Dumb question? You won't learn to embroider or you don't want to? There are some absolutely fantastic counted cross stitch letters out in the world. You can control teh size by the thread count or by slightly altering what you can find. Much more elaborate than what most of us can applique?
GrannieAnnie is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 AM
  #7  
Member
 
ThreadsofTimeFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Danville, Illinois
Posts: 45
Default

Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Maybe the initial in the large square like bride requested and then pictures of the bride and groom in the 2 smaller squares.
I like this idea!
ThreadsofTimeFab is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:29 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 5,402
Default

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Not sure what the initial is, though I am guessing it is their last name.
If so ... what about her initials in one block, and his in the other?

Also wondering ... since the bride requested the initial, perhaps she has a suggestion for the other two blocks.
That would be my suggestion as well.
NJ Quilter is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:09 AM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orbiting
Posts: 1,448
Default

Do you know anyone with an embroidery machine? Or maybe the local quilt store can embroider the blocks for you or know someone who will.

Also, have you thought about fabric ink? Tape the design/Initial you want to a window then the fabric over it and use a fabric ink pen to draw in the design. Remember to heat set it afterwards by placing a paper towel over the fabric and using a hot iron (no steam) and the paper towel will absorb excess ink. Also, you need to heat set between colors.

Have any artists in the family? Maybe they could draw the letters the size you want. If not, a word processing program will have letters in different fonts/styles and you can enlarge them to just about any size you want.
AlienQuilter is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 04:37 AM
  #10  
Super Member
 
sweetpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: southeast Kansas
Posts: 1,084
Default

In large Sq, the intial of the last name with his and her first name coming off the last name intiail. this would work if her and his first name of the some letter as in the last name . in the smaller block thing like the date of the wedding, date of the frist date, where the first date was, where the wedding was. love the idea you are working with hope you can make it work. GOOD LUCK.
sweetpea is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tallysue
Introduce Yourself
13
11-14-2010 12:06 PM
mmonohon
Main
14
10-30-2010 07:35 PM
ceannastahr
Main
2
04-20-2007 08:13 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.