Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need information about quilt batting >
  • I need information about quilt batting

• I need information about quilt batting

Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by merridancer
    In order to turn bamboo into a fiber, it is soaked in hydrogen peroxide which gives it the antimicrobial properties.
    Who on earth told you this?? Are they also trying to sell you a bridge?

I did a lot of research several years ago about bamboo batting. If it is processed mechanically, meaning a machine beats the snot out of it and then combs it, it does have antimicrobial properties. However, this process is very labor-intensive and drives the cost of the product up. So it's usually processed chemically, however not with hydrogen peroxide. It's processed with multiple chemicals including bleach, sulfuric acid, lye, and carbon disulfide.
    Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 PM

if you've always loved polyester then try some that's been recommended. 2 of my worst experiences EVER were with poly batting but I've used other poly batting that was pretty good - just fluffy and hot - whichmakes them harder for me to fold flat and sleep under most of the year where I live. on the other hand my aunt who's close to 90 swears by poly and doesn't understand ANYONE wanting flat cotton batting when they could have nice soft and cuddly poly! her church quilting group has 2 tops of mine(I didn't make them my mom bought them somewhere) and she's gonna get the backing and batting and I already know she wants poly - I just asked that she go with thinner if she did LOL! she handquilted some cheaters for my mom and they're so thick. beautiful and cherished but they're so fluffy they take up 2-3x as much space on the shelf as the cotton quilts the same size. but for soft they win hands down. I love when it gets hot enough to use them. my worse poly experience was a gray poly - it kept stretching and seemd to pull and just had a yucky feel/texture to it - I should have stopped then but I went ahead and used it - that quilt is not soft and fluffy -probably didnt help I used a lot of kona fabric in it so it feels rougher - I plan on washing it soon and seeing if that softens it a bit- the fabrics were prewashed but I haven't used the quilt enough to wash but think I will anways. I really liked the top so hopefully the wash will work a miracle! ;-)

I haven't tried wool - someone told me it was nice but too hot for the south...that was just one opinion though - plus it's pricey and not as easy to find here and was also told it absorbs moisture and gets heavy- thought being in the humid capital of the US it wouldn't be good to use...will have to look into it.

I used a 50/50 brand before and it has done nicely and washed that quilt several tmes- something I got at hobby lobby with a sale or coupon seems like.

I've had good luck with hobbs 80/20 (friend has used it in my quilts), warm and natural/white, and white/cream rose - I think the cream rose has been my favorite overall.
    Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by RosaSharon
    Oh maviskw, I know you are right! I will take this to heart and try harder. I also know that real butter is good for a person. (in moderation) Makes perfect sense that it would be better for us than fake margarine.
    I seen a show can't recall what show but it had a segment about butter vs. margarine, of course the butter is better for you and the margarine has so much oil in it. They showed where they place some butter on a sidewalk and some margarine on the sidewalk too, the bugs wouldn't eat the margarine only the butter, so even bugs know the margarine is mostly oil. I know this has nothing to do with batting, but I couldn't resist telling about the butter vs. margarine. We have used only real butter since that show years ago.
    Jeri
    Old 07-28-2014, 04:00 AM

Good question! Thanks for sharing the links and info on batting.