Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a new iron -- any suggestions? >

I need a new iron -- any suggestions?

I need a new iron -- any suggestions?

Old 11-26-2014, 07:46 PM

I've had Rowenta and Oliso and now use the Shark, its' cheap and it does NOT leak
Old 11-26-2014, 10:35 PM

I have had my blue Oliso iron since they first came out I have never had any problems with it and although I also own a few inexpensive ones that is the one I use almost all of the time. If anything happened to it I would definitely purchase another. At the time I bought mine it cost $199.00 but since I have had it for at least 9 years I feel like I got my money's worth I would encourage anyone to buy it, that being said I didn't get mine at a discount store so don't know if you would get the same value with one from Walmart.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:02 AM
Power Poster

I recently bought an inexpensive Shark. This one will be used dry and I hope it will last a bit longer.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:22 AM

I'm on my third Rowenta. The first I bought off Craigslist for $20 (a vintage model.) It never leaked or spit and a nice weighted balance. I took it to my dad's for him to fetch a screw that worked its way lose inside. He couldn't figure out how to open, so I did some research on the construction - German design. Figured out how to open, but upon report learned he'd thrown it out. "Dmn thing is trash!" It was absolutely a tragic moment because I'm now on my second since and they both fulfill their reputation of leakers. Absolutely love the weight, but the waterfall and auto shut off leave me cursing.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:07 AM

I had a Shark when I first started quilting....I liked it but when I replaced it I bought a Rowenta. That one I hated. It leaked all the time and now is my back-up or for messy projects. I now have the cordless Panasonic. It is great and doesn't scrunch seams when I am pressing. I think there are several quilt sites that have it on sale right now. Good luck and I hope you get an iron you love.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Black and Decker Digital Advantage
Old 11-27-2014, 06:41 AM

I also bought one of the blue Oliso's on sale at Joanns last weekend, for about $60. I'd though the idea of the "pop up" iron was pretty cool...my sister spent about 10 minutes just playing with it the other day. LOL

On a more serious note, I have a couple of small dogs who like to accompany me to the sewing room. Once in a while they get to chasing each other, and I've been afraid of their bumping the ironing board and knocking off the iron; with the Oliso, sitting horizontally, this is much less likely to happen.

I was hesitant to spend big bucks on an iron, especially after all the stories about bad Rowentas. But for that price on the Oliso, I went ahead with it.

It's taking some getting used to, but I like it. The 8 minute shut off is not a problem, since if it auto-shuts-off, it heats up again within 15-20 seconds. I love that it gets really HOT. I've used the steam and steam shot--I wish the steam were a bit more consistent, but wow, the steam shot is powerful! And I love the spray--just a fine mist that doesn't soak the fabric.

My older Black and Decker had an auto shut-off, and would take a minute or more to heat up; and it never got this hot. Its spray would soak the fabric, but unevenly.

Good luck on your hunt!
Old 11-27-2014, 05:12 PM

I just bought the Panasonic 360º Freestyle Cordless Iron with Carrying Case for hsn.com for 69.95. I LOVE it!! even comes with a carrying case. and comes in different colors. i choose blue. Plus BOTH end are pointed. heres the link for it . they even have a video showing its uses

http://www.hsn.com/products/panasoni...uggested=True&
Old 11-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Which model do you have?
Old 11-28-2014, 09:15 AM

I have the yellow Oliso and love it. You can get them on sale if you watch the ads. Good luck