Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a project! >

I need a project!

I need a project!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 PM

Have you ever done any applique work with felted wool? It isn't all the dark, primitive folk art that most people think of. It's also very portable and easy to do (no need to turn edges).
If you aren't familiar with Sue Spargo's designs go to her website at suespargo.com or better yet, her blog at suespargo.blogspot.com you may need to scroll down and click on some archives to see good examples of her work. Her work is so bright, colorful and whimsical. There are a bunch of other great designers and patterns available.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I always choose embroidery over any kind of hand sewing. Silly isn't it, since they are pretty much the same thing. If you like to embroider, there are 1000's of pre-stamped items out there.
That would be my suggestgion also. I was going to say Yo-yo's but I know I could only do so many of those at a time.
What about doing both? But my first choice would be embroidery. Safe trip and how lucky for you.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by GirlieWhirlie
today- according to the rules you can have scissors up to 4" long- pins, needles, pin cushion...

I don't understand the thought behind these rules...they let knitting needles on the plane! I would think they could do more damage than 4" pins. I'm just saying.
You can't count on taking knitting needles----------or even crochet hooks. The most damage you could do with a crochet hook is poke someone's eye out.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:11 PM

Japanese folded patchwork is very portable. Cut out a six and a half inch circle, tack the quarter inch seam allowance. Cut out a 4inch. square of fabric and wadding. Place the wadding then fabric in the centre of the circle and then carefully fold and slip stitch edges of circle over square, taking care to get sharp points in the corners. If you go into the pictures section on here and look at the section for things other than quilts you will see a brown bag I made using this method. It is good for cot quilts as well.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by mbake
I sure would appreciate suggestions for a project I can work on, on an airplane. I will be taking a 14 hour flight in the fall, and that's one way! It will also be 14 hours back! Ugg! Plus it's a four hour flight to get to LA to get on that flight. My daughter is having her first baby. She is in Brisbane, Australia. I think that I can take a child's safety scissors and I think I can take sewing needles. I am at a loss for ideas, so dear friends, help!
What about a nice cross stitch sampler for the birth of the baby and also a different one to do coming back home. You may be able to finish the birth sampler before you get there, or most of it except for the weight, length, etc. You could do just a cute cross stitch for the new nursery, or perhaps some small Christmas decorations. Cross stitch would usually only consist of the frame, fab. thread, needle, pattern and the pair of scissors. It would certainly help pass the time on the long flight. Congrats on the new little one. Have a safe and wonderful trip.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:44 AM

Another thing you could do is to put two pieces of flannel together , punch holes around the perimiter and chrochet an edginging all the way around it. I think I may do that for the trip later this summer.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:53 AM

One of my projects on my bucket list is a cathedral window. If you do it the traditional way, it is all hand work.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 AM

There are so many cool ideas everyone has. My bucket list just grew with my curiousity! Thanks from me too!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie
I saw they had a "airline friendly" scissors in the latest Keepsake Quilting catalog.
Wow, those are small scissors!
http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...M-SCISSORS.htm
Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by mbake
I sure would appreciate suggestions for a project I can work on, on an airplane. I will be taking a 14 hour flight in the fall, and that's one way! It will also be 14 hours back! Ugg! Plus it's a four hour flight to get to LA to get on that flight. My daughter is having her first baby. She is in Brisbane, Australia. I think that I can take a child's safety scissors and I think I can take sewing needles. I am at a loss for ideas, so dear friends, help!
Have you ever made yo yo's? Rosettes made out of circles of material that could be cut ahead of time and the yo yo's can be made into many things. Google yo yo projects. Have a great trip.