Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need some help - quilting related >

I need some help - quilting related

I need some help - quilting related

Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 AM

Okay in the instructions on the tutorial it says to make sure its 91 inches when you are piecing the pieces across on the first set of strips, I am confused there- since the entire width should be 91in and I will be attactching (if I were to only do it in 2 sets- which per above instructions Im doing it in 3 but it will not effect the width) so to me (the novice) it sounds like each set will be 91 across-- are they saying 91 in long instead?? Thats all that makes sence. And my husband has been watching me with my determined confused mind and asked me "Why dont you just cut your pieces and put them together like you want to instead of following these instructions on placement and doing everything in 2 or 3 sets, do it all at once" - his thought is that (he has seen me rag quilt and that is how I do it) I should make it into one piece in the first place and following the cutting directions it should be fine except I will have to add to make it fit a queen.. advice lovely ladies?? :?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by ohmisslizzie
Okay I think I got it, thanks for the help, I might pm you for a question if I get stuck if thats alright, again thank you for putting it in a way I finally understand :oops:
Great! I don't mind PMing, but I often forget to check for those. If I don't answer, post in the forum and I should see that.

For the backing fabric, the easiest route is to purchase an extra-wide fabric made especially for backings so you don't have any seams. There are good places online to order this width of backing in a variety of colors and subdued patterns; post separately to ask for some places to check out. Or, you could go to http://www.joannfabrics.com and order Kona muslin in the width you need (probably 108" at $8.99/yd). There is another thread here on the forum that contains a 50% off coupon for JoAnn's and you could use that when you order. With this width, you just order enough yardage for the length of the quilt (adding at least 12 inches for safety). Kona muslin is one of only a very few muslin fabrics I would actually use for a quilt backing, as most muslins are IMO not good enough for that use.

Edit: Here is a link to the thread about Joann's coupon codes:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/28212.page
I just used the 50% off one and it worked fine.
Thanks so much for the coupon, Someone suggested using a flat sheet as the backing, would the muslin be better, I want this to look as good as possible and use the best materials!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:35 AM

I'm not help at all. I'd find another pattern. I agree, it does look like 2 twin quilts.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by jacquemoe
I'm not help at all. I'd find another pattern. I agree, it does look like 2 twin quilts.
Gosh Ive been looking and just no luck finding one, whatsoever!!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 AM

I often use flat sheets for the back I especially like the main Stay brand from Walmart. It doesn't get those little balls on them and they wash like a dream!!