Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a used serger - any recommendations? >

I need a used serger - any recommendations?

I need a used serger - any recommendations?

Old 02-02-2015, 12:35 AM

Default I need a used serger - any recommendations?

I want to crank out a project for craft shows, flea markets, etc. this spring and I need a serger. It's really just for one WOF seam on each item and the edge needs to be tight and clean. I've never had a serger before. What do I need to look for?
Old 02-02-2015, 04:20 AM

I would suggest a 3-4 thread machine and make sure it has differential feed. I bought a used Brother several years ago for $75 with the above features. It works well and I was able to take a several-session class to learn to thread; about tensions; etc. Good class. I haven't really used it since but like having it. Not knowing if I would use it much (and that was what I thought would be the case), I didn't want to spend lots of $$. If you can find one with air threading, so much the better but I don't see too many of those listed for sale.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:40 AM

You can pick up a used or never used serger by looking around at your local sales. A friend got one at our local guild garage sale for $35 and it was a Janome. don't get hung up on air threading, dental floss tools ( I forget what they are called, green with a loop, I could post a pic if you want later) works great to thread the loopers. A differential feed is a plus, and a 4 thread is a must.. what NJQuilter said is great advice. So many people buy sergers and never take them out of the box. The plus side if you buy new from your dealer, you can take lessons which is very helpful. Either way, I love having a serger to mend and serge around baby blankets etc.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I bought a Brother 1034D new a few years ago for about $200. I learned how to thread it. I agree that the air threading is nice, but, there are Youtube videos that make threading a regular one relatively easy. But, around here, with all the garage/estate sales I go to (which is many) and all the passes I make at the 4 thrift stores in my circle, I have only seen one serger. Maybe used are more plentiful in your neck of the woods.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I bought a serger but I never liked the bulky seams it made. Had it since the 90s and hardly used it.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Ask your LQS if they know of anyone who has a serger for sale. One of the shops I go to has a directory (3 ring binder) of machines for sale. I just look in there if I'm curious about a machine. They may have a directory as such or give you a good deal on one in the shop.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:40 PM

I never see used sergers in our area, but know you can get a new one for around $300. I bought my Baby Lock in the 80's. It has four threads, although I can use just three. It has a differential feed and I have made several prairie skirts and innumerable pillow cases. I take it to get it cleaned occasionally and the expert who works on it says they haven't changed appreciably since I bought it. It does not have air threading, but once you know where the thread goes, you won't have any trouble., so I probably wouldn't pay extra for that feature. Besides, you probably won't need to thread it more than once a year.
Good luck, whatever you decide. froggyintexas
Old 02-03-2015, 05:31 AM

I just bought a Baby Lock Eclipse for $150. I found it on craigslist. It has the jet air threading. I don't know how much I will use it but decided that I wanted one. I got about 60 spools of serger thread with it and the original instruction manual -and a bunch of fabric - including a huge piece of fleece. The fleece will become my first serger project. I will serge the edges to make a fleece throw. I have ordered a couple of books on using a serger.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:40 AM

I just bought a new serger, after finally realizing my 35 year old one was beyond repair ( they stopped making parts for it). The newer machines can be easier to thread ... but I opted for the self threading Babylock. If you can find a used one buy it! Once you have had self threading you don't want to go back to one that is not.