Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need to vent! >

I need to vent!

I need to vent!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:03 PM

Okay, so maybe this is the wrong forum to post this, but I really needed to vent to people who might understand my frustration.

I am trying to get some new quilting clients. I had a lady contact me interested in getting two full size quilts made. One from her child's old clothes, and another full one with pictures on it. I quoted her a price of $350 for BOTH quilts including the materials to add the pictures.

She hasn't contacted me since.

I am so frustrated by people who are telling me that I'm charging too much for a quilt and not even coming back! If they had ANY idea at all how much work goes into making a quilt they would realize that those prices are so freaking reasonable it's not even funny.

Do they expect me to be like Walmart and give them a bargain price? I can't even make the quilt for less than $100 in materials!

Okay I'll stop venting now, but hopefully someone on here understands and feels my pain!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:21 PM

I think your price is rather cheap. People who don't quilt will never understand how much work is involved. You should keep a log of how much time and money you invest in a quilt and show it to anyone who complains about the cost.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Banned

I know exactly what you mean. While I have never made a quilt for someone, I use to do upholstery and make draperies. People would say, "I can go buy a new sofa for that much!" I'd say,"Yes, you can. However, you are not comparing apples to apples. You have a very heavy frame and are getting designer fabric. You will get a pressboard/cardboard sofa w/inferior fabric...."
I finally had enough. Then people were like, where are we going to get our fabric and work done now that you are closing?!?!! HA!~
Just keep going. Keep giving quotes. I found that educating people helped a little. Maybe make a sheet up of about how many hours it takes, what the materials cost,etc. break down the price that you give them so that they see where their money is goign. Hope it helps! Sandra
Old 01-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

that's funny~we were typing pretty much the same thing at the same time! lol
I do think that a breakdown would help.... XO
Old 01-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

As someone said in a different thread: You are competing with the bed in a bag.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:08 PM
JJs
Banned

A perfect example of why I won't even attempt to sell a quilt but I will GIVE THEM AWAY... makes sense to me LOL

A friend and I tried years ago the craft fairs etc (not quilts tho) - people who do the crafts or whatever usually say something like, "oh, your prices are so reasonable" (and copy your ideas so they can duplicate the thing) and people who don't have a CLUE how much time, effort, money, etc goes into something will talk about how expensive or over-priced it is..

And that was BEFORE Walmart ruined anything along those lines - years ago people made little crafty things and now Wallyworld has stuff from China for pennies on the dollar... a for instance, my hubby does intricate scroll work on a scrollsaw - walmart and hobby lobby and michaels sell things cut out with a punch press of cheap wood in china for a pittance for people to finish (paint etc) ... do you think DH will try to sell anything any more? nope...

go to the dollartree store and look at the crocheted doilies for a dollar - who's making them for that? a 5 year old somewhere? We pay more for the thread!

and as mentioned - the bed in a bag for less that the cost of fabric for pillow slips - there is such a 'throw away' mentality anymore - nobody keeps anything - use it a season and toss it - buy more....
and it's caught up to people - there are people who are probably still paying off the credit card for that set of towels from three years ago that are long gone and replaced two times over (or they filed bankruptcy and not paying the bill at all)

oh well
Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 PM

go ahead and vent what do people think a quilt cost ?
29.99 made in China
Old 01-07-2010, 06:22 PM

I have had the same problem. People don't understand the time and effort that go into doing things by hand, whether it is the woodwork or the quilting.

I finally started giving a bid on a quilt project, just as a contractor does on remodeling:
$ amount for materials
$ amount for time with an estimate of hours involved
$ amount for printing pics on fabric
$ amount for piecing, quilting
or whatever, to give people an idea of what they are really getting. Yes, some have not come back to have the work done. But at least they know what they are giving up.

I hope a little education will help others see how valuable the art of quilting really is.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Here, Here. I agree 100%. When I do custom work, I don't cut prices, but give an honest estimate of my time and materials. If they accept it, fine. If not, who cares? I have a reputation for doing quality work and won't underestimate my value for services. I have very few customers who want me to reduce my prices, because they know I won't. I have reminded some that for the money they want to spend, they will have to look at WalMart. Most of my customers never ask price if they really have something in mind and want it. I am always careful to write down each request and detail for a custom job and then note the finished price (not an estimate). I have never had anyone walk away. I don't do estimates on the phone either. Those are just looky-loos and they want to compare with every other quilter they can find.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Banned

I think you are way cheap also, I gave the same price to a lady to quilt a queen size top for her. She said let me think about it and that was the last I heard from her.

I get that sometimes when I give a quote to paint a car. But its usually someone that has just gotten into showing cars or its their first real show car. They about crap in their pants when I tell them the price but you pay for what you get. The days of $3000 to $6000 paint jobs are long gone, maybe for bikes (tank and two fenders) but you can not come close to painting a car for that.

Billy