I need to VENT!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:55 AM

This is someting I had heard of, but couldn't believe I would ever be effected. Wrong again!
My long time physician is now referring to his practice as MD-VIP. Apparently he's referring to himself. For the nominal sum of $1500.00 per person, per year, he's willing to allow me to be his patient. He says he's only going to have a total of 600 patients. (600x$1500.00 =$900000.00 for doing ABSOLUTELY nothing!) Another minimum of $250,00 for an annual physical x 600 = another $150000.00. Add in the everyday sick person visit and he's rich as Croceus! Iin addition to this, he still charges the usual co-pay for my insurance and then of course bills the insurance for whatever services I may need. (Remember, the $1500.00 doesn't cover anything but the privilege of seeing him. I cannot believe it! $3000.00 per year up front for the two of us.
Understand, we so far only go for an annual exam, rarely ever use his services otherwise. Occasionally, a phone call for an allergy med or something like that. The rational is that he can spend more time with each patient. Let's see...600 patients divided by 8 patients a day..that means I can see him every 75 days. Gee, it's easier to get an appointment than that,now! Is this elitist or what?
It goes without saying, I am not stupid enough to stuff my hard earned money in his pockets and will soon find another MD!
Is this common in other parts of the country?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 PM

I never heard of it, but I uess is a matter of time before others start doing it. Is time to hunt for another Dr. This one is obviously one of those who give a bad reputation to the profession. I am no lawyer, but it sounds like a scam to me.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:14 PM

I think it's time for you to find a new Dr,,I heard that the people in China pay their doctors while they are well but don't have to pay dr if they get sick (because the dr didn't keep them well),,don't know how true that is,,
In the "old days" a doctor was paid a chicken or a nice meal for treating a patient, back then, doctors took care of people out of concern for the person. Medicine is a big booming business now, I guess doctors are doctors now for the money,,not necessarily caring whether their patients feel better after treatments. I go to the Veterans Administration Drs,,I'm blessed with some great doctors there, but I've also met some stinkers who must have gotten their degree from the cracker jacks box.
I cannot believe your doctor is charging so much AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT--that's beyond highway robbery!!!!! :thumbdown: :hunf: :-(
Old 02-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Has anyone asked the medical board if this is legal? There are rules what they can and can't do.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:31 PM

My doctor of 30+ years closed his practice, he is only in his fifties, then went to other practice. So I had to find a new PCP after 30+ years. The new DR is great, only my annual PE is 16 months to get an appt.
Guess he doesn't care if he loses patients or how many. i to wonder if what he is doing is legal.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

:shock: That is crazy ! I wonder how many will "buy" the privelage of staying his patient . he must be really proud of himself :hunf: Good luck finding a new Dr. , maybe one who doesn't think so highly of himself
Old 02-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

:shock: that is ludicrous!!! Who has that kind of money each and every year to have the "privilege" of being seen by him? Sounds rather "Hollywood" to me.... :roll:
I would be searching for a new doctor :wink:
Old 02-20-2010, 12:48 PM

that's a very cute deal. he'll make way more money working part-time than he ever did working full-time and his medical insurance will go down. i'll bet there's nothing illegal about what he's doing. i'd like to hire his financial advisor. what can i charge to do nothing at all?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

Yep, I've heard of this happening............

I suspect we'll see more and more of it.....
Old 02-20-2010, 12:56 PM

I thought that Drs were there to help the patient, but it sounds like the only one he is trying to help is him and his own bank account. FIND ANOTHER DR ASAP.