Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your great ideas!!!! >

I need your great ideas!!!!

I need your great ideas!!!!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:50 AM

Default I need your great ideas!!!!

I will be demonstrating quiltmaking at the Middle School where I teach, on Arts Night. The families will wander around watching a few artists and looking at all of the art posted around the building. The last time I did quiltmaking (I hung some quilts and had one in process that I was sewing), they weren't that interested. The one I was sewing was an easy one that alternated scrappy nine patches and quarter-triangle squares.

I need ideas for a more interesting demonstration!!!!! I'm an intermediate quilter but since I'll be talking as I sew, I don't need to do anything too ticky or technical. I'm not a paper piecer, either.

My current idea is to start with 4 random shapes (hexagon, triangle, etc) and surround them with scraps. Sort of Pineapple but more like crazy quilting or Improvisational quilting. I could have the kids hand me scraps as I need them, from a clear plastic box full of all sorts of strips cut from my stash. Making 4 blocks, then squaring them up into a small quilt.....

I bet you folks on this board have better ideas!!!!
PS. I'm also the yearbook sponsor with a looming final deadline so whatever I do with this quilt before Arts Night has to be pretty easy/fast/minimal..... PPSS. "Plan B" is a cake decorating demonstration....but I'd rather quilt!

Thank you sooo much! Looking forward to some really good ideas that would have never occurred to me!!!!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:05 AM

This is kind of "out there," but could you use pattern blocks or tangrams for kids to design a block and color it? I don't have EQ or anything like it, but would it be easy to take their block and multiply it into a big quilt and beam it onto a smartboard or screen? I'll bet they'd get a charge out of that.

the primary teachers should have the blocks you need.

Hugs,
charlotte
Old 03-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Crazy quilt blocks sounds good. They also might like to watch you sew the Disappearing Pinwheel blocks. They might be surprised as you sew the pinwheels and then cut them again with your rotary cutter to make the two different block arrangement.
They also might like a simple snowball block but kick it up a notch with markers. Do the snowball in bright yellow and have them put different smiley faces on them with markers. It would also make a cute hall quilt to hang in the school with all the different expressions. You could print out a bunch of computer emoticons if they need ideas.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:12 AM
Administrator

we quilters spend a lot of time looking down, focused on the task at hand.
i'll bet there was more interest in your demonstration/exhibit than you realized.
it's likely that people just didn't want to interrupt you to ask questions. (the one time you want people to be "rude", they decide to be polite. go figure. LOL)

do you have, or could you borrow, a few small machines to have there for folks who might want to sit down and try their hand at it? have some pre-cut squares and half-square triangles handy that they could stitch together and take with them. if they could also take away an instruction sheet for turning them into a small something (such as a potholder or oven mit) that might attract more active participation.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:15 AM

When I saw that you were talking Middle School, that got me to thinking about my Grandkids and what they liked at that age. They weren't interested in my "old-fashioned" little blocks all cut up. They were more interested in fabrics they could identify with, bright/bold and modern patterns. They, also, loved the idea of making pictures for a quilt....crayon type drawings.

I go to the Houston International Quilt Festival almost every year. The booths that seem to get the attention are the ones where people of all ages are drawing on fabric and creating their own works of art. Perhaps if you had a crayon quilt on display and got them to help create some blocks that you could stitch together later, you could get some creativity going. Maybe even a handout with instructions on how to make their own blocks, which could be incorporated into covers for iPads, laptops or even small purses.

Along the modern quilt theme...how about a quilt that includes the school mascot or some of the sports that they are involved in? It's all about catching their interest. Is there a wearable pattern that is super easy that would appeal to them? Are you interested enough in this project to offer classes to them during the summers? I would bet that not many of them even have sewing machines in their homes. Even if they showed an interest, would it get them anywhere?

And, I have to say, I am so glad that you are offering quilting to them. More may be interested than you really realize. My sister taught a gifted program in one of the local school districts. She had elementary children - grades 1-5. As one of her projects, she introduced them to making quilted potholders. She said that it was one of the most fun thing the kids did and they absolutely loved these small projects. Most had never had any access to a sewing machine and found it fascinating. I often wonder if it sparked a lifelong interest in sewing for any of these kids.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:16 AM

I used to teach middle school, so I sort of know your audience. Sort of, as families and kids can all be so different! My first thought, and one that may not be any good, was to have a portable design wall and fabric pieces on it that hadn't been sewn together, offering different patterns...or maybe some blocks sewn together but the final design hasn't been decided.

Or maybe be trying to decide what fabrics to use for a pattern, while having a few completed quilts "up for show." Or auditioning different ideas for a border of a top that has been almost finished. Not sure if you are after audience participation or not...

Our librarian used to have a quilt club, and I was always surprised at how many students she got interested in the hobby. She always had two or three quilts on display in the library, plus one that the students could make if they were part of the club. I wasn't a quilter then, so I really don't know how it worked. Don't even know if it was after school or anything.

Yearbook sponsor... been there done that! You are one busy lady, and I know you will get more suggestions...

Dina
Old 03-01-2014, 06:19 AM

I was also going to suggest coloring on fabric. You have some shapes traced already on a white or muslin base to be colored and then make each into a snowball patch with scraps you already have. A snowball block sewn to a backing square of the same size can make a quick little pillow. Add a little dried balsam or lavender to the batting and you have a pleasant smelling pillow. I've done this with my schoolkids in the past. Hmm, might be time to do that again!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:22 AM

When my daughter was in middle school they did the same Art night. One of the parents who was a quilter let the kids take already cut shape and let them sew them together by hand. Then they sewed them together to make a small quilt or pocket quilt. It might be an idea to try?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Crazy quilt blocks sounds good. They also might like to watch you sew the Disappearing Pinwheel blocks. They might be surprised as you sew the pinwheels and then cut them again with your rotary cutter to make the two different block arrangement.
They also might like a simple snowball block but kick it up a notch with markers. Do the snowball in bright yellow and have them put different smiley faces on them with markers. It would also make a cute hall quilt to hang in the school with all the different expressions. You could print out a bunch of computer emoticons if they need ideas.
Love the smiley face idea!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:10 AM

If you did the Snowball blocks then the kids could write their name in them (or use the smiley face/drawing idea - I like that as well) .... Then if they were sewn together and quilted it could be used as a fund raiser. What parent could resist purchasing a quilt with their child did something on?

Otherwise .... a crazy quilt block might be fun.