Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your great ideas!!!! >

I need your great ideas!!!!

I need your great ideas!!!!

Old 03-02-2014, 11:11 AM

The t-shirt quilt sounds like something they would like, or a flannel board with a One Block Wonder set up where they could move things around to see how they would complete the design.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 PM

I have done the idea of coloring on fabric to make a block and wow some people are really creative and talented then I had hand crank machines that they sewed squares on to make snowball blocks. They loved it and I had a lot of participation. You can then take the blocks and turn in to a quilt to raffle or use as some sort of fund raiser for the school.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:51 PM

Having tangrams on hand is a very good idea.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:13 PM

Thinking about it more, I suspect that pattern blocks would work best ( if you decide to use blocks at all). They are a small, fixed set of shapes that are easily combined. Tangrams ( at least the ones i used) only make a square one way. Other than that, they are combined to make representative shapes, like boats or birds, which could be set into a square block but wouldn't be as representative of quilting. Paper-piecing, maybe.

Hugs,
charlotte
Old 03-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

For your "demo", try one of the "disappearing" block patterns. It's so interesting to see how a block can be cut and then re-arranged. To me, much more interesting than just piecing a block.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 AM

What about a "ten minute" quilt block. Then you accomplish quickly and get to show how fun something can be done so simply. Maybe do them in school colors and raffle it off at another time. You could show people how to sandwich the little squares, have them pin, you quickly sew so they can see the "Ah-Ha" moment of a block in three seams.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 AM

Why not give plain squares to one of the classes and have them make a design with crayons and either bring them to the art night or turn them in before. Then at the art night show how to piece them together with sashing. Even make a snow ball block of each one before piecing. Have some more squares at the art night so other kids could design a block.