Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your great ideas!!!! >

I need your great ideas!!!!

I need your great ideas!!!!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:42 AM

Some folks think quilting is an art and not for them. Since trying my hand at paper piecing I found it to be quite easy or at least easier than I thought. If they see you sewing on paper and fabric together???? Also we have fabric crayons, pens and even water based paints, this might peak their interest. Its not so much sewing but artistic and creative. May be more involved but just a thought.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey View Post
I will be demonstrating quiltmaking at the Middle School where I teach, on Arts Night. The families will wander around watching a few artists and looking at all of the art posted around the building. The last time I did quiltmaking (I hung some quilts and had one in process that I was sewing), they weren't that interested. The one I was sewing was an easy one that alternated scrappy nine patches and quarter-triangle squares.

I need ideas for a more interesting demonstration!!!!! I'm an intermediate quilter but since I'll be talking as I sew, I don't need to do anything too ticky or technical. I'm not a paper piecer, either.

My current idea is to start with 4 random shapes (hexagon, triangle, etc) and surround them with scraps. Sort of Pineapple but more like crazy quilting or Improvisational quilting. I could have the kids hand me scraps as I need them, from a clear plastic box full of all sorts of strips cut from my stash. Making 4 blocks, then squaring them up into a small quilt.....

I bet you folks on this board have better ideas!!!!
PS. I'm also the yearbook sponsor with a looming final deadline so whatever I do with this quilt before Arts Night has to be pretty easy/fast/minimal..... PPSS. "Plan B" is a cake decorating demonstration....but I'd rather quilt!

Thank you sooo much! Looking forward to some really good ideas that would have never occurred to me!!!!

I know you said you are not a paper piecer but string blocks are the most addicting way of using scraps ever. Look up the technique and see if it wouldn't work for you. The randomness is what seems to draw people in. The color keeps them interested and to see what these strings can make is appealing to people.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:18 AM

How about using a flannel board and show different stages of design. Jenny Doan's disappearing pinwheel or a disappearing 4 or 9 patch changes enough to show folks how one block can be changed to make another. I wouldn't sew. Watching you sew won't interest anyone. Maybe some cut out squares and triangles that folks can design their own blocks in the flannel board?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:33 AM

I would go over to the Missouri Star Quilt Company and check out her tutorials. They are always great and easy to follow. My experience with children is that they like anything hands on with instant results..
Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
This is kind of "out there," but could you use pattern blocks or tangrams for kids to design a block and color it? I don't have EQ or anything like it, but would it be easy to take their block and multiply it into a big quilt and beam it onto a smartboard or screen? I'll bet they'd get a charge out of that.

the primary teachers should have the blocks you need.
Hugs,
charlotte
Wow, Charlotte! I think this is a great idea! The elementary teachers would definitely have the tan grams and blocks! I also like the idea of doing crayon blocks and putting them together in a quilt...or two!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I don't have anything much to add, however, I was asked to do a machine quilting demonstration at a local arts & crafts day with various artisans displaying their work. I was asked more questions about why I was using safety pins to pin the quilt for quilting. You just never know what people will ask.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:06 AM

does it have to be actual 'quilt' blocks etc? how about a quilted fabric postcard? The kids might enjoy seeing that they can sew a postcard to send to family and friends ... something easy, maybe even a flip and stitch with scraps would work and/or some fussy cut fabrics on top ...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:07 AM

Oh I like Judi in OHs idea of string blocks too ... those are one of my faves, but I'm a huge fan of fabric postcards, LOL
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM

Choose some brightly colored fabrics that will appeal to kids. Or have an assortment and let some of them select the fabrics for a block. Many younger people think quilting is an old fashioned hobby with old drab fabrics and might be interested if the colors/fabrics appealed to them.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary View Post
Wow, Charlotte! I think this is a great idea! The elementary teachers would definitely have the tan grams and blocks! I also like the idea of doing crayon blocks and putting them together in a quilt...or two!
Aww, thanks. I was thinking that the kids would be surprised by the secondary patterns, too.

There have been some really great ideas here, and maybe a combination of a few will be the solution.

Hugs,
Charlotte