Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your help with finding previous post >

I need your help with finding previous post

I need your help with finding previous post

Old 09-04-2014, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
For $35-$40 dollars I can buy a lot of painters tape to mark my guide lines or several 1/4 inch pressure feet for my machine. It may work great but I would probably loose it after the first time I used it
I probably wouldn't buy it for myself, but kids and grands are always wanting ideas for birthday, etc and thought that would be a good idea. Right now I use command strips and they work but lose the stick and collect threads. I have tried painters tape and don't like it because it has nothing to butt up against and have tried the note pads and not fond of them either.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Could it be from Bonnie Hunter? She has a plastic tool that you set your seam allowance and then a homemade seam guide to run your fabric along fir her antique machines. The tool is only available if you take a class I think. The seam guide is on her site http://www.quiltville.blogspot.ca look under the Tips &Techniques tab at the top of her page and look for the title Best Seam Guide Ever.
Thanks Tartan will look at it. Appreciate the link.
Just looked at it and that is a great idea! I have been using Command strips but they lose their stick and collect threads. Going to look for this Scotch brand. Thanks much

Last edited by grammasharon; 09-04-2014 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 09-04-2014, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

Remember this: Anything you buy that does does a great job and lasts, you forget what it costs. If it is useless then you never forget the cost.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
Thank you Lisa, my kids are always wanting to get me something for birthdays, etc and I never know what to tell them. Saw this and thought it would be a good idea for Christmas!
Oh to have this problem! If I were you I would keep a running list of the things you use all the time like rotary cutter blades, sewing machine needles (write down brand and sizes for them), your favorite colors and brands of fabric for precut packs or threads. This would be the perfect opportunity to try a thread you have read about here but didn't want to splurge on yourself. Next time you see a new ruler you would like, write it down for them! Sign up for Connecting Threads catalog and just start circling notion items or books and patterns. Gift certificates to your favorite local or on line quilt shop. For seam guides, I have used moleskin (found in the foot problem section of many pharmacies) or I have stuck on several layers of painters tape.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 09-04-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post

Is it hard to change your bobbin thread with this in place?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
Is it hard to change your bobbiton thread with this in place?
Looks to me like the guide has a space that will fit my bobbin thread opening. Th t is why the Command strips lose their stickiness. I have a niece who loves to give me quilting gifts since she also quilts so will know after Christmas. Sure someone will get it. ;-)
Old 09-04-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Oh to have this problem! If I were you I would keep a running list of the things you use all the time like rotary cutter blades, sewing machine needles (write down brand and sizes for them), your favorite colors and brands of fabric for precut packs or threads. This would be the perfect opportunity to try a thread you have read about here but didn't want to splurge on yourself. Next time you see a new ruler you would like, write it down for them! Sign up for Connecting Threads catalog and just start circling notion items or books and patterns. Gift certificates to your favorite local or on line quilt shop. For seam guides, I have used moleskin (found in the foot problem section of many pharmacies) or I have stuck on several layers of painters tape.
Really good ideas because I never think of what I want until they call and want ideas.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
Looks to me like the guide has a space that will fit my bobbin thread opening. Th t is why the Command strips lose their stickiness. I have a niece who loves to give me quilting gifts since she also quilts so will know after Christmas. Sure someone will get it. ;-)
Great to know! Thank you!