Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I Need Your Help

I like plaids too. Here's the quilt top I am working on for my DS. It needs the bottom row of blocks and it'll be big
    enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it!! See my other post for the one I'm making. It's a double sawtooth star in plaids/stripes and shirting prints for the backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    I love plaids. i made one with plaids, cks and stripes.
    those are lovely fabrics!!

I love working with the plaids,it started with the quilt I call "Oh my G...they sent my son to Bosnia!" Even if your GD likes earthtones, a little blue will make the earthtones sing. Go figure.

Just had to put in my two cents. Love the cream. How about shades of earthy greens and beiges to tams. The stars would really pop. Are you fussy cutting the plaids to make all the lines match? My sewing teacher would be so proud!
    Please a picture when finished.

I am make a friednship star with baseball as the star and 2 blues for the back ground. And baseball fabric for the binding I think your plaid would make great Friendship stars and maybe 2 or 3 background colors (in earth tone) would look good and plaid for the binding after a solid color border!

Quote Originally Posted by Twilliebee
    Wow! They are beautiful. Has someone made a little trip to Avonport? LOL! Just in case you don't already spend time here check out the link to quiltville. I wanted you to see something plaid right away, but the whole site is wonderful. My favorite next to the board. http://quiltville.com/scrapsandshirttailspreview.shtml
    Wow! What a great link! The "Stargazing" pattern would be my pick!

You know your daughter best. Will she like the plaids or should you make the plaid for you and start over for her? Can't wait to see what you do!

What about using a number of earth tones for blocks - putting a coordinating plaid in each (different stars) and setting the whole qult on point - with wide and narrow border of darker earthtones - no sashing -
    Good luck you have some beautiful potential!!

Wow! They are beautiful. Has someone made a little trip to Avonport? LOL! Just in case you don't already spend time here check out the link to quiltville. I wanted you to see something plaid right away, but the whole site is wonderful. My favorite next to the board. http://quiltville.com/scrapsandshirttailspreview.shtml
    Bonnie's patterns were the first thing I thought of when I saw all the beautiful plaids. Good Luck with your quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tails
    I am going to try to make a queen size quilt for my daughter for Christmas. She loves plaids, so I bought a bunch. I kinda had it in my head I would like to do the friendship star with the plaids, what do you guys think? Here are the first 3 pictures of my plaid fabric. I'll post the others in a sec. Thanks so much for your help.
    Flannels make a great rag quilt. It is quick, easy, and
    when you are done, it's already quilted. If you choose
    to make a rag quilt, you can use many colors, or a few-
    your choice. Also, flannels make a great log cabin quilt.
    Marcia

What color are you going to use for the background? I love plaids in quilts! :D I just assumed you were going to use the plaids for the stars!

Flannels make a great rag quilt. It is quick, easy, and
    when you are done, it's already quilted. If you choose
    to make a rag quilt, you can use many colors, or a few-
    your choice. Also, flannels make a great log cabin quilt.
    Marcia[/quote]

Well, I'm replying to my reply :). I am assuming the
    plaids you have are flannels. What I meant to say
    was that plaids, especially if they are flannels, make
    a great rag quilt as well as a great log cabin quilt.
    Sorry about that!
    Marcia

Since they're plaids and, if you want to try to keep atleast he elongated lines in line....what about a log cabin. Make half of the block lights and the other dark. This way you can make it a true scrappy and not worry about which colors so on on each side. FOUR OF THE BLOCK WOULD ALL BE LIGHT, because you can....

There's is a log cabine layout where the center of it will be a STAR and the surrounding will lay out in the diamond pattern. I think this layout is the book of all "log cabin" quilts that I saw someitime.

Can someone else help out explaining what I'm trying explain.. Thank you and Duh.

Have you ever done a braid quilt? I think that all those plaids would lovely that way. You could do it as a strip quilt too, with a row of braid and then a row of one of the plaids, etc....

OMG You guys are coming up with some great ideas. Some of the patterns I'm just not qualified enough to try. I have done a log cabin but I dont think I have enough light plaids, which meaNS I'd have to buy more and I would really rather not. It's so hard for me because I have nobody that lives close to me who quilts. The paids aren't flannel, I've never done a braid,,,,,,,,,,,,oh god help me..I have to go to Ottawa next week to my sons wedding so when I come back home, I have to get started on this quilt, so it can;t be anything too complicated. Please please keep your ideas coming, I promise I will post pictures when I'm done..again, thx so much

Braids are not hard to do. I could probably post the instructions and show you some pictures if you would like. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis
    Wow! What a great link! The "Stargazing" pattern would be my pick!
    I Like the stargazing too but hate to buy yet another pattern grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr this is the worst part of trying to quilt. God bless her, she doesnt even know I'm making her a quilt let alone in plaids

That would be awesome, thanks. I really appreciate everybody;s help...im quickly developing a whole new vocabulary, lol

Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    Braids are not hard to do. I could probably post the instructions and show you some pictures if you would like. Let me know.
    thank you i would appreciate that

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    What color are you going to use for the background? I love plaids in quilts! :D I just assumed you were going to use the plaids for the stars!
    You assumed right, I was thinking of the plaids for the stars, not sure about the background, right about nowm i;m not sure about anything. I just know I have a ton of plaids that need to become a quilt, lol

One of the first quilts I did was with plaids. If you want more information I can look up the book where I got the pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah
    One of the first quilts I did was with plaids. If you want more information I can look up the book where I got the pattern.
    i like that one :)

I agree. That looks very nice done in plaids.

How many yards of fabric do you have. It certain looks like enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by amorerm
    How many yards of fabric do you have. It certain looks like enough to me.
    i dont know...a lot lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast