Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: I Need Your Help

Great quilt....With stars too.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah
    One of the first quilts I did was with plaids. If you want more information I can look up the book where I got the pattern.

It's tricky to line your plaids up in stars, but other than that, I'd say go for it. You can mix the backgrounds using lighter blues, greens and cream for a scrapier look, but the dark blue is so close in color to so many of the plaids, I think I would use it for sashing. Perhaps you could alternate a star with a solid block of plaid with just sashing around it? or perhaps a solid color star with plaid background alternating with the plaid star. I think I would like that one myself. Then using the dark blue sashing and a same width dark blue border, then a piano key plaid border with solids mixed in, then a wider dark blue border or perhaps a red one.

Oh, I meant to add, I'm not sure your cream is the right one for the plaid, it's kind of flowery and flowy... I might look for one with a bit more of a geometric print in the tone on tone.. or just a solid.. That's just my humble opinion tho, if you like it, then go with it, cuz that's what matters most. Smiles and huggggggggggs, Linda

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    It's tricky to line your plaids up in stars, but other than that, I'd say go for it. You can mix the backgrounds using lighter blues, greens and cream for a scrapier look, but the dark blue is so close in color to so many of the plaids, I think I would use it for sashing. Perhaps you could alternate a star with a solid block of plaid with just sashing around it? or perhaps a solid color star with plaid background alternating with the plaid star. I think I would like that one myself. Then using the dark blue sashing and a same width dark blue border, then a piano key plaid border with solids mixed in, then a wider dark blue border or perhaps a red one.
    hmmmmmm u sure got me thinking... what if i try to do Ditters string quilt, but use wider strips and use plaid blocks on the back, then maybe applique stars on maybe every second block, only problem is, I would need to buy light plaids, or could I use just different fabrics other than plaids for the other side? Am I confusing everybody as much as I'm confused???

Power Poster
    Oh I love the first set of plaids.. The fabric is gorgeous.

I really like delilah's quilt, and you wouldn't need to buy more fabric nor a pattern. It's simple enough to make from just looking at it and mapping it out on graph paper. You could use solids for the stars as well as in some of the 9 patch blocks... just save the pic of hers as a guide and improvise!!!
    Hugs, smiles, and good luck!!!

KLO
    Blog Entries
    If you look on the quiltville site that was mentioned, you will find a ton free patterns listed in the left column down near the bottom. One of them is Star Struck which is the Star Gazing pattern but without the sashing. So, just thought you might like to know that it is a pattern that you can print out for free and really it is fairly basic but gets it's "pow" from all the fabrics used. Good luck with whatever you chose.

I have to be different ---
    I would use one cream plaid(s) (or a variety) as your background, similar to the one in the first pic.
    Plaids make very sharp looking quilts and are very fun and versatile with many patterns.

Thanks for the good words ladies. There is history with this quilt. I finished it the day after my 35 year old son died because I had to keep busy or I would have gone nuts. I call the quilt Patches. It is a very easy pattern, very little to map out, and the star template was one in a package that came from Jo-Ann's.

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    I really like delilah's quilt, and you wouldn't need to buy more fabric nor a pattern. It's simple enough to make from just looking at it and mapping it out on graph paper. You could use solids for the stars as well as in some of the 9 patch blocks... just save the pic of hers as a guide and improvise!!!
    Hugs, smiles, and good luck!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss. It is comforting to have our quilting to do though, isn't it? I do understand what you mean about having to stay busy, I'm the same way when things out of our control happen. I thank goodness for quilting.

Before Hancock Fabrics closed they had a sale on mens shirt flannel. I bought 1 yard of each color. They had 20 some colors, plus 9 yards for the back. Made a quilt a little over 3 yards long and 3 yards wide and used the Turning Twenty pattern. He loved it, but kept accusing me of using his flannel shirts in the quilt. The nice part about it was it only cost $1.00 a yard. So for thirty some dollars had a hugh quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tails
    I'm not sure if I want to do a star on every block or something else I'm totally lost. Do you like the blue background or the cream, or would all different colors of green on each star be better. Of course after I bought all this fabric, she tells me she'd LOVE a quilt with earth tones!!! HELP ME
    I haven't read the whole thread yet, but after reading this post, here are my thoughts. I LOVE plaids also. I love so many of the plaids that would go with the blue background. And that would be my personal choice....But ...I do see some plaids that you may consider using with an earth tone background.

You have so many nice plaids that you may want to consider the blues, etc. on one side and the earth tones on the other side.

i would make the stars, all colors mixed, sew into rows, and then slightly offset the rows, some up and some down, some one way across and some the other . i wouldn't cut into any stars, of course, but i think it would add some unexpected zing. if you start and stop each row with whatever color you decide on, you would have lots of playing-around space. color it out on graph paper and see what you think. oh, imo, the only one that doesn't belong there is the one with a crackle-type overlay look. the others are great.
    they'll make a super quilt whatever you decide to do. will you match pillow cases?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love them. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i would make the stars, all colors mixed, sew into rows, and then slightly offset the rows, some up and some down, some one way across and some the other . i wouldn't cut into any stars, of course, but i think it would add some unexpected zing. if you start and stop each row with whatever color you decide on, you would have lots of playing-around space. color it out on graph paper and see what you think. oh, imo, the only one that doesn't belong there is the one with a crackle-type overlay look. the others are great.
    they'll make a super quilt whatever you decide to do. will you match pillow cases?
    OMG that sounds so good, but I have no idea what you mean, lol

I agree with this route. Maybe pull out a few of the brighter plaids and then use a tan. That way you have the plaids and inhance the earth tones too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilliebee
    And a last thought: you've got lot's of earthtones in your plaids. You could always warm the whole thing up by going with a gold or tan background.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3