Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I owe everyone an apology >

I owe everyone an apology

I owe everyone an apology

Old 08-25-2010, 05:41 PM

I am sorry that you felt the need to apologize and were told that it was required. Sometimes, without the spoken tone or inflection, the meaning of the written word is sometimes misunderstood. I am very thankful for this board and all the varying opinions and suggestions that are offered here. I find the discussions informative and interesting and do not not take any offence to comments that are made. I think that by exchanging our various viewpoints that we become more informed and aware about the passion that some of the topics may produce. We are very lucky that we have the opportunity to express them.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:45 PM

Where is this thread, I want to read it lol.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:50 PM

Sometimes we just got to verbalize. Get it out there, then we feel better. Not to worry!
Old 08-25-2010, 05:54 PM

FYI- It was brought to my attention by someone not on this board. Thank you all for your kind thoughts, but I knew I needed to do this, and I do feel better. I think I over-reacted.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 PM

Carol - You were actually being very logical in your discussion and then also in your actions of sending a letter to the magazine. A debate on such an issue is a healthy event and the expression of the various opinions shows that there is a real need for further clarificaton.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:20 AM

add me to this list.
Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
Girl, I will bookmark this note, and refer to it for a nice apology template when I put my foot in my mouth and need a nice way to pull it back out!

All's well.
God Bless.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:47 AM

well, thats one I missed..lol...your a sport for fessing up...sometimes we get passionate about our feelings..no biggie.....;-)
Old 08-26-2010, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by garysgal
To all who have been posting on the thread about the McCalls article, I want to apologize for my posts. It has been brought to my attention that I was rude, and said things I shouldn't have. I got way too passionate and upset about the whole thing, and I made a complete fool of myself. The topic is one that upset a lot of people and I added to it. I am sorry. You are a great bunch of ladies and I don't want to be a sore on anyone's finger. I hope everyone involved can forgive me and I hope to control myself in the future.

I don't believe you need to apologize. Maybe my thoughts are somewhat simplistic but why on earth would they even print patterns in magazines, etc., that the general public purchases when one could NOT make, give away or sell the item once they made it. It seems ridiculous to me to have such a fit over someone using their pattern without their specific permission if they have it published. The simple solution would be show a picture and not the pattern and the problem would be solved. Course then no one would purchase the magazines, books, patterns at all and then they would make no money which would defeat their purpose of making money.

We are all greatful for the abundance of pattern designers out there but my very humble opinion is that since the beginning time of quilting... all patterns have been repeated over and over again with various changes to make it different. An example would be the Dear Jane groups...Brenda loved that quilt and honored Jane by recreating her treasure so all would love and enjoy her contribution to the art of quilting. I can imagine Jane up in heaven smiling down and thinking. "WOW, I never imagined people would love my quilt that much and what a thrill it is to know the joy I've brought to others".

Not to take away from designers but if they are so fussy about their particular patterns then they should not publish the pattern for others to see. Show off your quilts but not your patterns and then the problem would be easily solved.

When I spend my money it is for my use no matter what it is and there should be no limitations placed on my purchase. When there are limitations my choice is that they don't need my money.

Just my very humble opinion.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 AM

Well - just read almost the entire thread and paid particular attention to your posts - I see nothing there to apologize for.

Maybe someone else misunderstood though.

Have a better day!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
We are all greatful for the abundance of pattern designers out there but my very humble opinion is that since the beginning time of quilting... all patterns have been repeated over and over again with various changes to make it different. An example would be the Dear Jane groups...Brenda loved that quilt and honored Jane by recreating her treasure so all would love and enjoy her contribution to the art of quilting. I can imagine Jane up in heaven smiling down and thinking. "WOW, I never imagined people would love my quilt that much and what a thrill it is to know the joy I've brought to others."
It's odd that you would mention the DJ and Brenda's 'honoring' Jane. From what I have read on this QB and the WWW, in general, Brenda has been quite intent on cashing in on the pattern. They even had to change the name of the DJ quilt-along on this QB because of Brenda.