Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I really am not dumb but...........

i think it allows for the folding of the seams when you press. each time you press, you are taking a tiny bit away from the original seam.

Blog Entries
    My life and quilts became a lot happier when I decided not to use any patterns that wanted a "scant 1/4" seam"

I have two feet for my Viking that are 1/4 inch with the guide bar. One is a two 1/4 inch with a single needle hole. I can move the needle slightly to get the scant and still miss the foot through the single hole. The other is technically a edge stitching foot . It has the guide on the side , but a wider needle opening so I can move the needle to more positions . By far I use the edge foot more than any other foot I have. The edge foot does have a marking for the 1/4 inch so you don't have to figure it out each time.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    Bah! Any pattern that mentions a scant 1/4 is banished from my life.
    I'm with you 100%
    Pat

Bah! Any pattern that mentions a scant 1/4 is banished from my life. Since that measurement can't be defined it is worthless.

I also don't fret if I can't exactly meet the given dimensions of a pattern. For the most part (I said MOST not all) it just doesn't matter.

I can't imagine my grandmother sitting at her treadle worrying if she is sewing a scant 1/4" - or a precise 1/4" either and she produced some amazing quilts!

This is a hobby to be enjoyed, not to get tangled up in stuff that gives people stress.
    I love your 'Bah!' I've obviously been living under a rock - I'd never heard of 'scant' before
    However, as I've never done one, I'm assuming I'm doing OK with my 1/4" foot. You certainly can't tell from a passing plane
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Blog Entries
    In a nut shell, tell the person who is selling you the presser foot that you are a quilter and you need the appropriate presser foot for 1/4" for piecing/quilting purposes.

When I originally purchased my Emerald, the woman selling was not the Viking saleswoman and had no clue. I got home and made a few 'house' blocks and for some bizarre reason all the new ones I made with my (not cheap) new machine were all wonky. I got very frustrated, and was ready to return my machine, but called the store instead. I was directed to call another store as there I could speak to a Viking saleswoman and not someone who was just filling in and had no knowledge. Amazing what a difference it was speaking to a true quilter and saleswoman of the product. She also convinced me to buy the walking foot. At $30 I was hesitant, but am so glad I did and knowing now how easy it is to sew on 1/2 my binding with it, would spend a lot more for it! Good luck!

Oh, I'd also go with the presser foot that has the little silver guide to the right of it. Granted I lived, pieced and sewed without it for ~20 years, but LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it now! If you have any other questions, you can always pm me!!!
    Last edited by orangeroom; 08-29-2012 at 03:44 AM.
    Go forth and sew!

I find it easy to do the scant 1/4 inch seam. I just make sure I can't see the fabric peeking out from under the 1/4 inch presser foot. I taught my granddaughter to do the same, as we make quilts together, and I found she was making the seams quite a bit wider than mine. Now we both do it the same way, and our pieces fit together.

Blog Entries
    What I learned was 2 threads widths less than 1/4". At the time I was doing Lights in the Window and I did find that it made all the difference. I'd been having trouble getting everything to line up but once I tried the scant 1/4" it all just fell into place. I use it all the time. Teacher at the time said it allowed for turnings.

Quote Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
    No doubt several others will weigh in on this one.
    For me, the difference is a "thread's width".
    Don't understand why patterns aren't made using a true 1/4".
    I agree. Unless you have points to worry about and or a particular finished size, I feel as long as you keep all your seams the same size who cares.

To my knowledge a scant 1/4" is one thread less than a full 1/4". Years ago when I took quilting classess thats how the teacher explained it to us.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I solved a lot of my 1/4" problems by using a thin thread for piecing. I learned that 50wt 3 ply is too thick for piecing when the seam is pressed to one side. I use 50wt 2 ply like Aurifil for the top, with a size 80/12 topstitch needle. For the bobbin I use size 60 or 70 poly. Most thin threads will be poly as it is stronger then cotton. 50wt 3 ply is great for machine quilting for the stitches to show.
    I do exactly the same!! And, I love prewound bobbins.....polyester....they last forever!
    psumom

Blog Entries
    I do not understand why someone grabbed this scant quarter inch and ran with it for years I have been using quarter
    inch and never had a problem the quarter inch is very narrow and I do not want my quilts pulling apart by trying to go to narrow besides I learned to quilt the Mary Ellen Hopkins way which was ppm measurement ppm being personal private measurement and it is accuracy and consistancy that works I still use the quarter inch and have no trouble

Scant 1/4" seams drive me crazy. I sew everything with my 1/4" foot. The only exception is if I'm involved in a block exchange and they have asked me to use a scant 1/4", then I try my best. I just don't get the reasoning. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a scant 1/4" foot for any machine.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Bah! Any pattern that mentions a scant 1/4 is banished from my life. Since that measurement can't be defined it is worthless.

I also don't fret if I can't exactly meet the given dimensions of a pattern. For the most part (I said MOST not all) it just doesn't matter.

I can't imagine my grandmother sitting at her treadle worrying if she is sewing a scant 1/4" - or a precise 1/4" either and she produced some amazing quilts!

This is a hobby to be enjoyed, not to get tangled up in stuff that gives people stress.

You are so right SewMary... something NOT to stress over and enjoy what we are making..
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
    Scant 1/4" seams drive me crazy. I sew everything with my 1/4" foot. The only exception is if I'm involved in a block exchange and they have asked me to use a scant 1/4", then I try my best. I just don't get the reasoning. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a scant 1/4" foot for any machine.
    This routine scant 1/4" just seem ridiculous, to me. For years and years, quilters used 1/4" seams and as long as they made the seam properly, things turned out fine. Points were right where they should be, etc. Fact is, it doesn't really matter what size seam you use, as long as you cut your pieces exactly and sew your seams consistently. I can understand using it with HSTs, as it's easier to reduced the seam allowance, than to cut the block that fraction of a millimeter larger.

Perhaps, with the increased popularity of rotary cutters, some people have lost the skill to cut accurately.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

This is pretty much my position, too, Sewmary. I don't use patterns so I agree it could make a difference in that case. But being consistent seam to seam is what matters most, I think, and what I try to do, whether it's a true 1/4 or scant 1/4.

I think that the 1/4 inch seam really begins with the cutting.Always try to use the same rulers. One of the tricks that I like to use is to cut my fabric a little on the heavier side.I lay my fabric out[not too many layers]; then place my ruler on the fabric, the cutting line will be all the way to the edge of the fabric.It seems like the scant 1/4 inch is no longer something that I need to worry about. It was already taken care of in the cutting. Then each time that I cut; I'm using the same method over and over. My blocks come out quite nicely. It is my most favorite parts[ cutting and block making] of the quilt making process. Sure hope this also helps.

Oh Sew mary! I concur! I do what I want. I use a 1/4" foot and let the slips fall where they may. I think "scant" is just obnoxious. Trying to make something wonderful, creative, and restful into something stressful, tedious, and demanding.
    Scant , Schmant! Just be as consistent as you can be! It will turn out ok.
    I set challenges for myself, like trying a design I never tried or more intricate quilting or a new color combination because I love it, not to make a nuisance for myself. If I start on a quilt that irritates me, I leave it flat and return the pieces to the scrap heap. This is not the Quilting Olympics, but my hobby.
    (Climbing down off soapbox now!)
    Lottie
    Be Yourself. Everyone else is taken.

Blog Entries

I agree. The difference between the 1/4th and the scant 1/4th was probably someone elses mistake ages ago. Is it pertinent to the project? only you can say. If you are making adjustments to the overall size anyway, it matters that the blocks you make join up nicely. I learned that consistancy of the seam is more important than the size of the seam, as long as you realize that if you take a bigger seam, and yes, even one thread difference will be noticeable in the overall project.
    Do your best to be consistant and you will happy with your work regardless of the size of seam. IMHO
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

I have written a newspaper column about scant 1/4 inch seams, but its content was not flattering to the person who thought up this complication. In the first place, no one can define the term. In the second, even if someone invented a foot that guided a scant 1/4 inch seam, it wouldn't be long before someone thought the seam should be one thread wider or one thread narrower. Since different fabrics tend to have threads that are thicker or thinner as the case may be, the people who are concerned about this matter are chasing mirages. Freddie's first sentence is a winner/keeper and the rest of her explanation is the same. Don't make what should be relatively simple--sewing a 1/4 inch seam using a guide of some kind on your sewing machine--turn into a bloomin' nightmare. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    The 1/4 or scant 1/4 is not that important. Every machine and every person sews differently. When do sew the block, check the size of each component of that block after you stitch. Is it coming out the size they want it to be? example: If you stitch tree strips together and each one is cut 2 1/2 inches wide, check the center strip. Is it really 2 inches wide now? If it is larger, you need to increase the width of your seam allowance. If the center strip is smaller, you will have to narrow your seam allowance. The outside strips should measure 2 1/4 inch each. Then you could cut the three strip piece in 6 1/2 inch pieces, for a block to finish 6 inch. Hope you know what I am trying to say. It is easier to show someone. Good luck!

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    This is the BEST answer!!

Blog Entries
    Husq has a quarter inch foot but not the presser foot type. I ust finally FINALLY learned to "see the scant quarter inch'
    Patski
    always learning

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I have two feet for my Viking that are 1/4 inch with the guide bar. One is a two 1/4 inch with a single needle hole. I can move the needle slightly to get the scant and still miss the foot through the single hole. The other is technically a edge stitching foot . It has the guide on the side , but a wider needle opening so I can move the needle to more positions . By far I use the edge foot more than any other foot I have. The edge foot does have a marking for the 1/4 inch so you don't have to figure it out each time.
    I, have both of these feet too. On the quarter inch foot I move my needle 1 position over also. However, I find with the quarter inch foot that has the guide bar and a wider hole I select the 1/4" stitch and then move it over 1 more click.

I use my 1/4" sewing foot. I usually end up making a quilt my way. Even if it starts out with a pattern.
    As long as my blocks measure the same I am good with that.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Power Poster
    There always seems to be a bit of 'try it and see' when it comes to making quilts!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast