Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Really Need Help? >

I Really Need Help?

I Really Need Help?

Old 07-11-2010, 02:24 PM

What i really don't understand is how to start and how to get to the next stich.Kinda dumb aren't i but i'm a hands on learning person as in if i see you do it then i got it.Sorry(:)
Old 07-11-2010, 02:36 PM

I've never used this method, but I think you could pop your knot into the batting when starting as always when hand quilting, then make the stitch as shown in this video, but instead of taking that last stitch all the way through to the back, just run it through the batting to the next spot you want to make a flystitch. Hope I'm right, and not misleading you, anyway here's a little youtube video on the fly stitch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF90YGbrmMg
Old 07-11-2010, 02:42 PM

Okay, let me try a verbal description.

1. You are going to make a knot in the end of your thread. The knot should be small. Make a loop in the end of your thread and pass the end through the loop. Pull it tight. If you clip the tail end, leave about a quarter of an inch tail.

If you're like me, until I started quilting, I made a end knot by making the loop around my index finger then rolling it off with my thumb then pulling the knot tight. This makes a big lumpy knot, not the kind you want for quilting.

2. Next you are going to insert your needle through the top only of the quilt about 1" away from where you start. Push the needle through the middle of the quilt and come up where you want to start.

3. Pull your thread until the knot sits on top of your starting place.

4. Holding on to the quilt near the knot, gently pull the needle (or trailing thread) until the knot pops through into the bat.

Voila! You've started. When you end, you make the same type of knot, put in your last stitch between layers. Slide needle through bat and come up about an inch away. When thread has come through, hold the quilt and gently pull the needle until the knot pos through into the bat.

Hope this helps and hope it is clear. I'm like you, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Bury your knot between the top and backing in the batting the way quiltingnonnie described so well above.

Where you come up with your needle will be the top of the left hand side of the V. Then decide where you want the top of the right hand side of the V to be. Put your needle down through all three layers at the point where the top of the right hand side of the V will be, holding the thread with the thumb of your left hand (if you're using the needle with your right) so that the thread is under your needle.

Come up at the bottom of the V. Make an anchor stitch at the bottom of the V but don't go through all three layers, carry your thread through the batting. Come up where you want the top of the left hand stitch to be and repeat.

The only time you go through all three layers is when you are making the right hand side of the V. The back of the quilt will just have one single stitch( where you make the right handside of V) as you are carrying the thread through the batting when you finish one stitch (anchor) and move to start the next one.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:16 PM

Thank You,thank you now i think i got it.Blessings to all of you for the help(:)
Old 07-11-2010, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the info can't wait to try and I have a quilt that is already. Yes!

Sandra