Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I really need some quilting advice from you ladies! >

I really need some quilting advice from you ladies!

I really need some quilting advice from you ladies!

Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

I feel your pain. Wish I could help you.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:01 AM

How far along did you quilt? I agree with the ladies, minky would not be my beginning choice for backing.
Are you trying to do free motion meadering or just straight line? For straight line, try using the walking foot. For free motion, make sure the your feeddog is down you have the free motion foot. Instead, of rolling the quilt, try fluffing it thru. Do make a sample piece and practice to see how it works. Good luck, hope that helps.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:14 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. It looks like it is finished already, with the binding on it. Did you also use batting with the minky? It will be a heavy quilt if you also have batting in it. I have a quilt top that I will be putting minky on the back, but I'm just going to use a piece of flannel for the batting so it isn't so heavy. It will be lap size. For the rest of your concerns; yep, just what they have already advised you. Walking foot. More flat area to spread out.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:53 AM

if you use a spray baste then you wont get poked with pins. No need to pin when you use it
Old 04-14-2013, 04:13 AM

Check with your LAQ about basting your quilt for you. I have basted using my LA and have done it for customers. It makes a basting project go really fast. I make the stiches longer and also loosen the tension on the top stitch. Besides I only charge 10 to 25 dollars to baste for my customers. Enough to cover my time and thread. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:23 AM

First baste with safety pins never straight pins. Can't imagine using straight pins. Walking foot is needed
Old 04-14-2013, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
I've read about this and want to try it at some point. Would it be a prob with ironing if using cotton/poly or poly batting tho?
Good question, you might want to try it on a small sample. Could you let us know the results?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

I pin basted my first quilt and it was baby sized. Never again! I stabbed myself more times than I want to admit. I couldn't get from all the posts if you are trying to FMQ or straight stitch. Either way, use the correct foot and settings and I gave up rolling my quilts into a log, and just puddled them loosely around me.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:39 AM

I've had good luck with spray basting when using Minky. I have a Supreme Slider, but prefer to use Glad Press and Seal on my machine bed to cut down on friction. The edge of the supreme slider keeps catching on the quilt and rolling up. (Just don't leave the Press and Seal on when you're not using it, or you'll have to remove sticky stuff from your machine bed.)
Old 04-14-2013, 05:10 AM

I use the quilter's bent safety pins, no being stabbed by straight pins. You need a card table or ironing board behind your machine to support the weight of the quilt and another to your left so that the quilt is supported. Also rolling the quilt makes it more difficult to handle.
Go check out Leah Day's website she has many good tips for FMQ and her website is free.
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/