Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some advice from rag quilting ladies please. >

Need some advice from rag quilting ladies please.

Need some advice from rag quilting ladies please.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 AM

Default Need some advice from rag quilting ladies please.

I've made a few rag quilts and pillows using the Accuquilt rag die. I generally do the usual method... rag square on top, lightweight batting in middle, rag square on bottom, sew an "x" through each one. Then, attach them all together at the end with the raggies on the top.

I've been commissioned to make two rag quilts out of clothing of grandmothers who have passed away. (That's why I made my first one, it was all my mom's clothing after she was gone.) Anyway, the two ladies who want these quilts want just one big piece of fleece on the back, instead of all the little squares.

I'm thinking that the only way this could work is if I sew all the rag pieces together for the top, then sandwich the raggy top with the batting inside and the fleece on the back, and then sew rows down through the quilt sandwich, or even diagonally across the squares (that would probably look nicer on the back).

Has anyone ever done a rag quilt that way? It would certainly save me a lot of time because I'd only have to cut the squares for the front and then just work with a big piece of batting and fleece afterward.

Your thoughts??
Old 01-23-2018, 11:14 AM

well instead of sewing it why not tie it, the ties would get hide on the fringe on top! just an idea
Old 01-23-2018, 11:54 AM

Try a test sandwich to be sure the rag edges will go under the foot of your machine. This seems like a challenging way to make a rag quilt, but I haven’t tried it so I could be wrong. Good luck and let us see how it turns out.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:31 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I vote for joining all the squares with a 1/2”seam. Skip the flannel; with a fleece back you won’t need it. Baste in whatever fashion you desire. Whatever method you use, baste thoroughly, fleece is stretchy. I woukd spray baste myself. Sew diagonally through the squares to replicate the x’s. The problem will be to keep those seam allowances out of the way.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

I don't know how much "rag" you will get when you only have the two layers. Can you tell the ladies that they want something that is non-traditional and will make your life harder?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:01 AM

hmmm, I've never done it with a one piece backing either. Did google "how to make a rag quilt with a one piece backing " and there were a few links, one from pinterest but I'm not on there, but if you are, you might like to have a look at that.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:10 PM

I will definitely think about the idea of ties, although that would probably take me longer than machine sewing. But it would make for a more cushiony quilt I think.

thimblebug, that is a great idea... I'm surprised it didn't occur to me because I spent a lot of time on Pinterest (which I probably should not because it's the cause of many experimental projects...LOL).

Martina, these "ladies" are relatives of mine and believe you me, I tried to weasel out of these projects altogether, but they would not take no for an answer! Neither of them has any concept as to how much time and effort these projects take. So making my life harder wouldn't phase them. That's why I am trying to make this easier on myself by doing the solid backing. That's a whole bunch of squares I won't have to cut out. Even though I use the Accuquilt, it's time consuming to cut up clothing because of all the little bits and pieces, sleeves and cuffs and things you can't use that have to be cut around. And one of the ladies gave me a bunch of clothing that's primarily knit tops, and only a couple of cotton items, so I have to deal with the stretching issue too.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:35 PM

I would do a couple test 4 patches.

I generally do not use batting in a rag quilt. I use flannel top middle and back or flannel top and denim back (or vis versa).

I have used three layers of flannel too.

Thinking about this a bit more, if you use fleece on the back it will be a magnet for the lint each and every time the finished quilt is washed.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 PM

I wonder if you just used all the same fabric on the back, maybe that's what they're concerned about. Maybe they don't want any pattern on the back?
Old 01-25-2018, 05:14 AM

I would tie it off. It will make your job so much easier.