Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I really need someone's help, please... >

I really need someone's help, please...

I really need someone's help, please...

Old 01-12-2012, 01:25 PM

The templates to the Eleanor Burns quilt are from Quilt Smart, the pattern however is one in which you use fusing to attach the arcs to a square background fabric. That may be the simplest method to use if you don't find the right size templates for the arcs and background pieces. It's always such a thrill to find vintage blocks! Lucky you!!

Originally Posted by KathyPhillips View Post
I have made quilts without patterns, but I don't think the DWR is one to make without a pattern for the first time!
John Flynn has a pattern with templates and so does Eleanor Burns, Quilt in a Day. There are many books with DWR quilt patterns. I love the feedsacks in this photo! Trying not to be jealous!
You are right, the hardest part is done.
Kathy
Old 01-12-2012, 02:01 PM

I agree: it is a double wedding ring. Google the pattern to see that the squares do not match the scraps in the arches and look at the colorc sometimes used in the melons. If you are comfortable working without a pattern, you should be able to put the rings together. Be sure to post and show us the results.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 PM

It will be one of a kind. Please share your progress. AND, you really don't have to finish everything else before you "tackle" this one. You can have lots of projects in the mill. LOL
Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by sylviasmom View Post
Yep, looks like Double Wedding Ring. You can also visit Quilterscache.com, about.com/quilting. Does it really take about 20 years to make one? My daughter wants me to make her one. Looks like I should have started on it on her wedding day, her 20th anniversary is coming up this summer. I have fabric and pattern ready. Now to start cutting.
No it does not take 20 years however I did keep a tab on the king size DWR that I made for my nephew for his wedding and it took 42 hours and 17 minutes of actual sewing time. I know this because I have a running time on my sewing machine and zeroed it out before begginning his quilt and did nothing but that quilt until done. It took me an hour to sew on the binding. Now that is actual time spent sewing not pressing. I timed the amount of time spent sewing and pressing each block to 45 minutes. This may sound a little retentive but I was on a time budget at the time. I had just started the quilt and had budgeted so much time to get it done over the course of 9 months without pushing myself when my daughter called me at work(yep I work full time) a week after starting the quilt and told me that they had moved the wedding date up by 6 months. Needless to say I went into overdrive to get the quilt done and got it done in time for the wedding. Quilting it took 8 hours on my mid-arm and frame. I also can tell you that I used 4 spools of thread to piece the quilt together. It does look as though that DWR may have been intended to be an applique perhaps. It might make it easier for you to piece that way after getting everything pressed and laid out the way that you want to have it. Good luck and post pics even if it does take you 20 years I am sure that we will all be waiting on pins and needles to see it(no pressure or anything).
Old 01-16-2012, 01:08 PM

I loved seeing the prints you have. I saw several from my childhood. If only Mom had saved all those scraps. She did start a Dresdan (sp) Plate using fabrics from the dresses she made for me. However, she lost her vision before it was finished. Maybe I need to search through some of the things she gave me. I do remember seeing some unfinishe blocks, but I think I'll have to wait until some more pressing projects are finished. It will definitely go on my to-do list.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:21 PM

You could make the DWR but you could also use these to make a wavy applique border by piecing opposite arcs end-to-end. Kaffe Fassett has used old blocks and partials in some of his quilts in quite imaginative ways. You might also make these into a Snake in the Hollow or Baby Bunting style top.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:28 AM

Thank you all so much for all the input! It's all very helpful! I knew if I asked here I would atleast get pointed in the right direction! I'm looking forward to putting this together and have actually considered giving it to my great-aunt since it was her mother that actually cut and assembled all the pieces. I don't know yet.... there was also a bunch of the Dresden Plates cut and I've made a wall hanging out of one of the extra ones and thought about giving that to her too. Either way, I'm sure she would love it!

I did find a booklet for DWR at a Mennonite store not too awful far from where I live so I think I'm going to try using the instructions from that... atleast enough to get me going.

and to whomever said I could go ahead and start it rather than waiting until I finished the other projects I have going.... THANKS for that encouragement! LOL

by looking at the fabrics... I can only guess that they are older than I am! lol and I don't mean to sound disrespectful either! but I'm only 41 and I'm pretty sure that all the pieces are atleast another 30 years older than me! lol I wish I could take a picture of each arch to show you all the beautiful fabrics but it would definately take me all day to do that and lets face it.... I'd rather be sewing them together than posting pics! hahaha!

Thanks again for all the help.... I truly appreciate it!