Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "I remember" mistakes

"I remember" mistakes

The most common reason I make mistakes is when I *think* I remember something and I'm wrong.

Walked into the sewing room tonight and said "I remember .... I need to cut 16 pieces of the Magenta". Wrong ... I had already cut 8. Only needed 8 more. Wasted fabric.

Sat down to sew and said "I remember the row starts with black then yellow" and proceeded to sew black, yellow, salmon and magenta before I realized that yes ... they were in the right order ... for the LAST row, not this row. rip rip rip

I took a short break when husband arrived home, to clear my head, then went back into the sewing room and said "I remember where I left off" and began to sew the same colors in the wrong order AGAIN!!

Another time I was making a fracture (this happened TWICE actually - two different projects at two different times) and I said "I remember the next step" and proceeded to cut ... and of course I was wrong and cut the WHOLE PANEL in the wrong direction. I just won the opportunity to buy another panel!!

I need to put a giant sign in my sewing room that says "You DON'T remember!!!"

I'm staying out of the sewing room the rest of the evening. It's just not going to work tonight.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

LOL been there done that more times then I care to remember.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

lol, I leave myself a little note. Sad but true ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I try not to sew if I feel myself getting tired. It's the time that I make the most mistakes. Sometimes it's just the better thing to walk away! Tomorrow is another day. Hope it goes better.

Blog Entries
    lol, been there, done that! But why didn't you just finish the last row and REMEMBER that you had done it already instead of ripping it out?
    Bernie

LOL!! And I thought I was the only one who do did stuff like that. The sewing part is bad enough but the cutting?? That makes you want to cry! Especially when you got it from your stash. When you have just enough material for your project. When the material has been in your stash for about ten years. When you have no idea whose line it is or where you got it. Ask me how I know this......
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

I too have taken to leaving myself notes ... Not sure whats up with my brain.. but its not always running with a full charge.

Power Poster
    .....and that's why there are sticky notes all over my sewing room!

Last night I was putting together the 3 sections of a quilt I designed myself and discovered that the pieces didn't line up as I thought they would. Shut off the machine, left the whole thing in a heap on my table, left the room. This morning, after a good night's sleep, nice breakfast and 3 mile walk, I got started again and immediately realized I needed to move two seams by 1/4 " and then it all went together, zip, zip, zip. Now I'm ready to work on the borders, and I'm so happy with the 54" center part of the quilt. And I agree - take notes, write it down, check twice before cutting or sewing anything!
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this post! Yup, been there done that...over and over. And that's WITH leaving myself little notes, and pinning anything that can conceivably get flipped around. I have been known to have an entire quilt top laid out, flip two pieces face to face ready to sew, walk to the sewing machine (holding the edges together that need to be sewn) and still sew the wrong edges together. Amazing.

Good luck!
    Alison

Will it get better? I can't find what I thought I had cut or sewn .... must have done it in my sleep cuz' it's just not anywhere. Or I find I cut it to the wrong dimensions .... making my scrap bag grow.

Made a big quilt from cheater cloth (wanted the practice on the longarm). Decided quilt was too big (I actually figured that would be the case before I started) and I should cut it in half. Made the cut in the wrong place. This was just yesterday. I'll post the whole mess when I finish with the binding. Right now it's 1 large piece and two small ones, but I may just wind up with 6 small ones instead. And it might be by accident.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    lol, I leave myself a little note. Sad but true ;-)
    I leave notes, too, but do not always understand them when I get back. Of course, I think I remember so..........rip, rip, rip.

DHMom ... another story for your book!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I have been there so many times!!!!

Humm I can't remember anything and know it. I have post it notes with row numbers. First with arrow of way it goes. Notes or copy of pattern with highlighted etc etc. I have never had a good memory so I have always just assumed I wasn't going to remember and went from there. Even with all the measures I take and the multi checks before sewing I do I still have screw ups. Sigh

Isn't that just part of the quilting process? That's what I always tell myself
    Heather

Oh my gosh, I love it, you made me laugh right out loud. Someone could make alot of money making those signs!! I know I would buy one!

Did that yesterday cutting the pieces for Bonnie Hunter's Lazy Sunday mystery quilt. I just hope the next step includes LOTS of 3.5" strips.

I don't remember if I 'be ever done that! LOL!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Lori, I like the "brain no running on a full charge" that describes me to a T.
    jean

Chuckled mightily when I read your post! Not funny when it is happening to you, though. I have a quilt I started at a retreat last April and haven't touched it since. Will I remember anything about the way I was planning to enlarge it? Not a chance. Did I write down anything about it? Of course not! ACHHHHHHH!
    Deanne Ellen

Quilts,Books,and Wine,Oh My!

i leave myself notes--but when written they make sense ----- when read sometimes makes no sense

ha! yep. the notes are not foolproof ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Oh thank goodness, it's not just me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast