Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Was Selfish at the Fabric Store >

I Was Selfish at the Fabric Store

I Was Selfish at the Fabric Store

Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 PM

That was a wise move on your part. I'll remember to do the same thing if I'm planning on buying quite a bit. I do like to put my bolts into baskets when the store has them just so I can keep everything together.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i don't feel that you were being selfish. you were entitled to ask for your cut first as you chose the bolt first.
I totally agree!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Believe it's the sign of the times.....little or no consideration, let alone politeness for others or so-called "rules". You were definitely right, no doubt about it. Not long ago I was in a very small quilt shop during a sale (that I didn't know was going on until after I got in there or would never have gone), and before I got out of there, a couple of ladies were fortunate I didn't whomp them in the back of of the head with a bolt, after shoving me and other, stepping on my feet three times... just totally oblivious to anything but there own desires.
It definitely is a sign of the times. One time when I was shopping during a big sale I had a large stack of bolts getting 1/4 and 1/2 yd cuts to add to my stash and this other lady standing there was oohing and aahing over what I had picked out....then she would say to the clerk cut me a 1/2 yd of that one while you are cutting. After about the 3rd or 4th time of doing that the clerk finally told her, just let me cut this lady's order, and when I am done you can go through her stack, pick out what you like and I will be glad to cut anything you like. I was so grateful the clerk spoke up. I didn't mind so much the first time she did it or even the second time, but I was beginning to fear that she was going to duplicate my entire order. I just didn't quite know what to say without it coming out sounding petty.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM

I think you could only have been considered selfish, is if you took more than you originally planned so that she couldn't have it. Since you didn't, you were fair and justified. Don't think anymore about it.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 PM

You are so not selfish. You had a right to the first cut as you are the one who picked it out. Aren't you glad you spoke up?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM

You did the right thing and lucky you did so that you didn't go home short handed.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:47 PM

You were not selfish, nor was the other customer, but the cutting lady mixed things up.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:52 AM

You were not really being selfish The first cut was yours!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:56 AM

I sure wouldn't have considered that selfish YOU were the one with the bolt in your hand. She was probably grateful you even shared
Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 AM

You were right doing what you did - afterall you had the bolt of fabric first! Nothing wrong with speaking up!