Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Was Selfish at the Fabric Store >

I Was Selfish at the Fabric Store

I Was Selfish at the Fabric Store

Old 02-22-2012, 04:47 AM

I wanted something a lady had in her cart. I ask her that when she got her cut could she give it to me. She did. we were both very happy.I always try to be nice to ladies in a fabric store. Never know when they can help you.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Thanks for this post. I will keep the info re 2 folds to a yard for future reference. I didn't know that.
Be careful with this "rule of thumb" It is not exact. There are more "Yards per fold" on a full bolt than on a partial bolt. Remember that the thicker the bolt, the more inches it is around.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:51 AM

first come, first serve. (?)
Old 02-22-2012, 06:05 AM

you were not selfish at all. you had the bolt first.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Thanks for this post. I will keep the info re 2 folds to a yard for future reference. I didn't know that.
Count only the folds on one side of the bolt. That is about 9" So two folds counted on one side is about a yard on the bolt.

People taking others' fabric 'finds' is the reason I don't lay bolts on the counter 'til I am ready to have them cut. It has also happened to me.

Last edited by Quilt Mom; 02-22-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree with you, sometimes a girl just has to do what a girl has to do. I think you were perfectly right, and I'm glad you got what you wanted.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 AM

At my LQS there was a terrific sale and store was crowded. I went to the sale shelves, noticing a woman walking away from that area. I recognized her as being in my quilt guild, but didn't really know her. Anyway, I looked through the shelves and found a beautiful bird print that I fell in love with, so picked up the bolt. It had about 4 yards or so on it. At the cutting table that woman came up to me and said, "Oh, I was going to get that one. I saw it on the shelf and you came in after me. Do you really want it? Would you let me have it?" Duh! Of course I wanted it. I knew it would go perfectly with some other fabric I had at home, although I didn't really have a pattern in mind yet. So, I said, "Yes, I want it and planned on getting about three yards. But since there only appears to be about 4 yards and since I know you saw it on the shelf, I'll be happy to split it with you." I thought I was being so generous. But she looked at me and said, "No, I really need the whole thing!" Oh, well then. I just told her that I was sorry and she should have picked it up when she first saw it, because I was getting the three yards I originally wanted. She could then take the rest if she wanted. I heard her grumbling some after that, but have no idea if she took what was left because I paid for my purchase and left the store. I just couldn't believe she expected me to give her the fabric bolt just because she had seen it on the shelf before me. She just didn't seem to understand about quilters and good sale prices!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 AM

I was the "other woman" once, saw a beautiful batik in someone else's shopping cart. Ooohed and ahhed, and she offered it to me. We were both standing in the cutting line, I was 2 spots ahead of her. I told her that since she had it first, she should get her cut first, and I would get mine after her. This seemed only polite to me. However, she was very gracious, noted that it was a full bolt and she only wanted a yard, so she handed it to me. I made sure there was enough for both of us before it was cut.

If only the rest of the planet could be so accommodating...
Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 AM

I just heard a story similar to this and the clerk took the material and cut the other person's yardage without even asking the person who had it first and when It came to here there was not enough for her. So I say, speak up and you are not being selfish.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM

GOOD FOR YOU! You have to stand up for what you want first!

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
As I was approaching the cutting table, I heard a lady - who was in the middle of getting her fabric cut - telling the clerk that she wanted fabric with large fish on it. As I put my choices on the adjacent cutting table, she looked at my bolt with large colorful fish and told the clerk that it was exactly what she wanted. So the clerk took the bolt, asked me how much I wanted, how much she wanted and then told us there was more than enough to satisfy us both. Then she started to lay out the bolt to cut the lady's order.

No, no, no, no, no. I told her that I would have my piece cut first and the other lady could cut from what was left. Glad I did, because the balance left on the bolt was over a yard short of what the other lady wanted.

Lesson: we do have to be selfish sometimes.