Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I seriously screwed up! :( >

I seriously screwed up! :(

I seriously screwed up! :(

Old 12-01-2011, 04:18 AM

Ouch! And hello from just west of Appleton, Wi.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:23 AM

Been there, done that!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:28 AM

Great suggestions ladies. I think they've helped me with a "design problem" I have.

I was working on that quick end-to-end jelly roll strip quilt and got carried away with the cutting and sewing back together part. Now it's smaller than I wanted so I think I'll try so make it a design opportunity and rework it.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by momto4 View Post
I was doing a pattern where I needed to sew together jelly roll strips and with my lack of sleep I forgot to take out the pieces for the borders and in between the blocks. I instead sewed ALL of the strips together. This is going to take me FOREVER!! I was so happy when I sewed the last set together and about 30 seconds later had an OMG what did I do moment. I was adjusting to take it from a twin to king as well so I need to rip the stitches out of about 40 sets of strips. I know it was from the lack of sleep but this is the biggest mistake I have made so far in my quilting "career" Oh man!!! :*(
Where is it written that you have to use those strips for your border. I don't! I sew all the strips together, remembering to cut 18" off the first strip and then when it is all put together, I decide what I want for my border, which is solid. You didn't do anything wrong at all. It isn't a mistake at all! You are doing just fine. Besides, I would rather have a wider longer quilt with my own decision for what my border is going to be anyhow. Don't worry about it. I have one ready to tie down and I love it with my own border. Hey, it is not worth getting your knickers in a knot about. We don't make mistakes!!! Edie
Old 12-01-2011, 04:36 AM

I think all quilters have been in your shoes. Like others, I feel my time is worth more so I would suck it up, get more jelly rolls and figure out something different to do with what you have already sewn together. One thing for sure is you won't do it again. Seems like when something infringes on my pocketbook or time I remember pretty good!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:41 AM

I think I agree with getting another roll and just make it a little bigger. I hate ripping things apart.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 AM

Ouch is right.
I don't think I would rip out that much either. Is there any way you would change the design? Come up with a new and maybe better design without ripping all that out?
Good luck
Old 12-01-2011, 05:20 AM

How terrible! Glad I've never done that. (And if you buy that, I've got some ocean front property in AZ.)

Put on some happy music and maybe it will make all the ripping a little less stressful.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 AM

Why not leave it as is? You may not need a border on it. Just put the blocks together with just turning
every other one the opposite way then put batting and backing and the quilt will still be beautiful and
more original.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 AM

I feel your pain. I've had to skin my last two quilts after I had them FMQ. If it is any consolation, think how good you'll feel when you get it done. Hang in there!