Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I was so sad... >

I was so sad...

I was so sad...

Old 05-17-2012, 10:04 PM

As soon as my kids were big enough to sit on their own they would sit on my lap while I was sewing.
When they were old enough to talk they would tell others they sewed on mommy's sewing machine!
They love watching the bobbins wind
Old 05-18-2012, 03:25 AM

That's really sad about children who have never seen a sewing machine. I'd say instead of progress that's definitely a sign of regression.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:26 AM

Red face

My friend has a daughter who absolutely does not know what to do with her time. She did not have alot in terms of mothering, now is an affluent young bride who quit her job. She does not understand the wonderful parts of keeping house, of sewing..... It IS sad. I could absolutely never be bored, as there are always dozens of things to finish to start, to try, to improve. If she had been exposed in school it could be different. Wish I lived closer......

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
Maybe the children will remember their experience when they're older and think "if I could use a sewing machine when I was in preschool, maybe I could use one now." Wouldn't it be great if you've created one or 2 future sewing enthusiasts? Good for you for exposing them to something they may never experience otherwise.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:37 AM

I was a substitute teacher for many years. One time I was in third grade and one of the other teachers brought in some pansies so that we could make paper flowerpots for Mother's Day. One child raised his hand and said he didn't have a mother. Other children nodded their heads, so I asked about their mothers. Some lived with grandparents, most lived in foster care. Only one or two children in a large class lived with their mother. I think of those poor children all the time. What is really sad is that their situation is not all that unusual these days.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:47 AM

Sorry to state that the kids here get 8 weeks of sewing, maybe a pillow or a pair of shorts in 7th grade. Most are disaster because they have they no help but the teacher but she has 30 students in the class. Tried to teach my 4 grand daughters but so far no real takers. 2 do a little sewing. Maybe in time. I didn't start quilting till in 50's so there is hope.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 AM

I learned to sew very young. A relative was a millner and gave me scraps and fabric flowers and petals to make doll clothes. My grandmother taught me how to hand sew them. My mother sewed beautifully, but only at night after we went to bed and woe to the child who even touched her treadle machine. I never learned how to coordinate feet and hands on a treadle, but took home ec in Jr. High and became very adept on an electric machine. I made most of my own clothes from then on and all of my DD's clothes until she begged me to stop in her teens. I tried to teach her how to sew but she refused to learn. Now, at 34, she is finally able to do simple sewing and is enjoying it. I think I may be able to get her into quilting at some point, especially since she loves to fabric shop and is great at putting fabrics together. It's a shame the school budgets so severely limit teaching home crafts. How are the young people to learn to take care of themselves without those classes, especially if there's not someone to teach them at home.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:48 AM

I can understand why that would make you sad, but on the bright side, think of the exciting world you just opened up to all of them. You should feel GREAT about that!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:58 AM

Way to go! I'm sure you left a great impression in their minds. That's all it takes, is one inspiring moment!
Kudos to you!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 AM

It is a shame that kids are not taught the basics on how to take care of themselves anymore. There will be a time when these skills will be needed. I taught my two girls & son how to cook & sew & do crafts out of nothing but stuff around the house. They ended up teaching their kids how to cook & do crafts, but never got into the sewing bug. When my next to the oldest DGS was 8, he wanted me to teach him to sew. So we spent lots of weekends together. He was so tickled to be able to make all his Christmas gifts with G-Ma. One day in my sewing room we got to talking about music. I ask him if he wanted to hear some of my old songs when I was a teen. So I pulled out my old 45 records & he said "WOW G-Ma, I've never seen CD's that big before." LOL I also taught three GDS to sew & make quilts.

I have a stepdaughter that her mother would not allow communication with while growing up. When she turned 18 we got in contact with her. Anyway, her mother didn't teach her how to cook or sew. When she got married & moved over seas with her DH, she would call me from there & ask me to guide her through cooking home made bread, egg noodles, etc. They just came back to the States last summer & we went to visit with them for the first time in 11 years & 4 kids later. She & the girls wanted to learn how to sew. Boy what fun that was. They have really taken to it & are sewing up a storm. She just sent me a purse she make me for Mothers Day. When she has a question, she calls & I guide her through it. So I am still being a long distant teacher & loving it.
she said her DD #2 still brags to everyone that she got to sew with her G-Ma. Can hardly wait to get together with them again. Oh what fun we had at the fabric shop together too.

So it was a great job for you to put an interest in the little ones to want to sew & be proud of something they made themselves.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 AM

Those students are lucky to have a teacher who values the simple things in life that can bring so much pleasure and satisfaction. What you taught them will stay with them far longer than all the sports they become involved in.
Kudos to you and I hope you continue to teach many students hereafter.