Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I surprise myself sometimes!

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar

Talking I surprise myself sometimes!

Does anyone else do this?

I was just looking through my stash, looking for the "right" red for what I need. I kept finding all kinds of pieces of beautiful fabric that I do not even remember having! I kept thinking - wow! I love this fabric! And I love this fabric too! I am surprising myself with all of the great fabric in my stash!

Yes I have the same thing even though my stash is not that large, isn't it wonderful!!!!!!

Great to look at stash and love what you see and not think, "what was I thinking when I bought this?"

Absolutely happens with me all the time and makes me happy that is till love what I picked and that's when I think of all the projects that I want to make with this fabric and that fabric...love shopping at my own shop
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

I love when this happens!! I do have the "what was I thinking" episodes. Those usually get used in the backings!

Yes.
    And it's fun to end up using fabric for something totally different than I originally had in mind.

Me too - when I'm looking for something to do that makes me happy, I open up my closet and pull out stacks of fabric to reorganize. Just sorting my color or theme helps me think of new projects and I get excited all over again.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Hahaha - this is why cleaning up the sewing area isn't SO bad - I do that too, find all sorts of fabric that I don't even remember buying!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Often, when I go through my stash for projects, I come across fabrics I don't recall buying....it's fun to see what I have. I also have a few of those pieces which make me wonder what in the world was I thinking?! Recently, I stopped at a LQS just for a looksee and the prices are rather steep. I had bought some Stonehnge fabric at a quilt store's going out of business sale at 70% off a few years ago. This fabric is sitll available in the stores but anywhere from 10.50 to 11.20/yd! Now I am looking at my stash with new eyes!

I have that experience, followed by the experience of having 15 red fabrics but not the color I need and none are even close!! I never appreciate how many shades of each color there is until I am trying to find a specific color in my stash. lol
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Oh, yes, spent all day yesterday with that happening!!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Hopefully you have far more wonderful surprises than the "what was I thinking?" type. I have both.. sometimes a What was I thinking can become a valued part of my stash .. if I give more "fermentation".

I ran across a product called Swatch Buddies - don't have the link but you can google it - that I am thinking of investing in so I can organize my stash and remember what I have.

I donate those or pass them to my BFF who gives them to her mother. Her mother has a way of making even the most ugly fabric into a pretty quilt. Wish I had her talent

Yes! I also find projects and patterns I really thought I'd have complete by now -- then it's "Oh, that's so pretty! I really should make that!" It's funny, I don't have much stash because I bought enough fabric for the projects as I planned them. That reminds me, I should go sew something . . .
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    Fortunately or not for me, my memory is so bad lately I can look in a bag from last week and think wow! I forgot about this!
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

Blog Entries
    I know I do this all the time but when I am looking for a specific fabric I find everything else.

My husband thinks I have too much
    Last edited by newbee3; 12-18-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added

Oh I do this all the time! I also find a new way to organize my stash just about every year, so I get to mess with the fabric even if I am not actually using it....

Alison

It is fun going stash shopping.

Oh yes!!! I was just doing that the other day. My daughter was picking out more I-spy fabrics and I had more fun going through all my fabric than anything. All my small pieces(1 yard and smaller) I tend to hoard. Afraid to use them and run out. I will break myself of that habit!!!!
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Yes, looking thru my stash can bring immense calmness over me.

Yes, every time I go thru looking for something. Love fabric