Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I melted the batting!  What do I do? >

I think I melted the batting! What do I do?

I think I melted the batting! What do I do?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:04 AM

I would like to thank Trenbeathranch for sharing her knowledge to teach us that are not in the know. That's how all of us learn. I'm a newbie so I learned a lot from her explanation and will now be careful with pressing.
It looks to be a beautiful quilt. Please post pics of the entire quilt. Not knowing your MIL my quess would be that she is going to appreciate your own thoughtfulness and hard work. Thanks for asking the question and not keeping it to yoursel so we all had the chance to learn.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by slhager
I just finished putting the binding on my quilt (the first time I ever actually took my time and did it right). The directions said to press the binding toward the back. So what do I do. I grab the iron and start pressing the heck out of it. Did a whole side then started on the next...looked back and a big portion of a border and binding was FLAT AS A PANCAKE. What have I done? How in the world am i going to fix it. I've been working on this thing for a month for my mother-in-law for Christmas and now I've ruined it at the end. I just want to cry!!!!!
I'm sure it is nothing you would see from an airplane. My husbands favorite expression when he is fixing something.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:14 PM

I want to thank ALL of you. I've learned a lot...it was the hard way but I'll certainly know better next time.
I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet. I think I just need to let it sit a couple days and think about it. As soon as I figure it out and finish it, I'll post a picture. Again, thank you!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 AM

One of the first wall hangings I made I had the iron too hot and it made the puffy polyester batting go flat. I just finished ironing the hanging and it's flat all the way through the item. Some day I want to take it apart and use warm & natural. I use warm & natural now on everything. Learned my lesson on that. I don't know what I'd do with a full sized quilt tho as that probably would be too stiff and unnatural looking. On the wall hanging no one knows! I like Lindy - 2's idea of putting a piece in that area of the same batting.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by She In PA View Post
I would open the binding up and lay strips of batting in there and resew the binding. If you don't fix it you will always look at that quilt and notice it. It's a beautiful quilt that you took a lot of time to make. Just buckle down and fix it with extra batting.
My thoughts, exactly. If you are OCD (I am) it'll bother you and as She in PA stated, you will notice. The little that I can see very beautiful, though. Show us the entire quilt when you are finished.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 PM

You have your iron to hot. Never iron batting on the cotton setting, drop back to synthetics.
Doris 1334
Old 11-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by slhager View Post
Here are a couple pictures but I don't think you can tell much. It's the border between the quilt and the binding. You can kind of see the flatness then the fluffiness. No, it the genie didn't come last night.
Hmm. I absolutely love your quilt. Do you want a new MIL?? I am one too and would love this fresh, feminine quilt ! Im not much help but I had to say it. I know you're disappointed but its just beautiful. Im so sorry for your upset.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 PM

Unless your MIL is an avid quilter, she probably will think it is supposed to be that way. It seems to lay nicely! I don't notice any quilting in the border. If you wanted to add some light quilting, it would be even less noticeable. If it is really going to bother you, take the binding (that you worked so hard on!) off and cut the batting out, but not quite to the seam and lay a new strip in. Hand baste it to the part next to the seam and then baste all three layers next to the edge. Re-apply the binding and nobody but the whole Quilting Board will know, LOL!!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:55 PM

will be watching the answers to this thread
Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by TrenbeathRanch View Post
The bad news is that your batting apparently had scrim (since it didn't recover with the water treatment). Scrim is the layer of coating on batting which keeps it together and allows a bit of tug or pull during construction. It's almost like interfacing, since it has a bunch of tiny wholes. Batting without scrim is difficult to handle because it's like working with a cotton ball...very delicate and will easily lose it's shape with the slightest pressure. I've worked with both (scrimmed and scrimless) equally as often.
This is incredibly useful information. Thank you so much! How can a newbie like me tell if the batting has scrim on it? Is this common to a certain brand? Or is there something I should be looking for when purchasing batting (or working with it)?

And my best to you slhager. It's a very beautiful quilt, and I'm sure you're devastated at this (as would I). However, I'm confident you'll find a way to be happy with the outcome, either by letting it go or by fixing it!