Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm in love with Charm Quilts

I think I'm in love with Charm Quilts

Instead of working on my QOM (quilt of the moment) I have been souring the web for eye catching charm quilts lol...I have already interrupted my work on this quilt to make a charm cross quilt and Burgoyne surrounded block. Now I am wanting to make another something charming lol

Please post a link to anything interesting you have seen lately or before, that caught your eye. I don't need a pattern, just a visual.

It must be a scrap or charm.....I am just in this mood lol.

Blog Entries
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I found one, I found one...

http://quiltville.com/scrappytripspf.html

do it with me lol

That one is cute to Nan, thanks.

check out Missouri star quilt company, tutorial on falling charms. Here is my pic of it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I am working on a Falling Charms quilt now. It is so easy and fast. Love it so far!

Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    check out Missouri star quilt company, tutorial on falling charms. Here is my pic of it

here is one I made with small squares.

I love precuts because you get samples of a complete line of fabrics. Usually will buy at least 3 charm packs for a lap quilt.

Blog Entries
    I love how the black and white 4 patches pull it all together.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    here is one I made with small squares.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

I love them all, so many good ideas. Rosyf, will be anxious to see your finished masterpiece. I just have one question, how does charm squares make the Trip around the world, isn't that done with strips?
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    I love precuts because you get samples of a complete line of fabrics. Usually will buy at least 3 charm packs for a lap quilt.
    I do LOVE your quilt! Will have to make one like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
    I love them all, so many good ideas. Rosyf, will be anxious to see your finished masterpiece. I just have one question, how does charm squares make the Trip around the world, isn't that done with strips?
    I guess you can do the strips or squares. It doesn't matter to me as long as it is a scrap. I call them charming lol.

Oh I love all the ideas. Here is some I found. I found this one on the web somewhere and saved the pic. Then last night I went through some Mccalls mags and found it yayyyyyyyyyyyy

I was going to do it my way but when I read the instruction it was totally different. I will start this one first and post pics.

I love the effect. I can't wait to see how my fabric will make it look. I just got a bag of scraps from My friend Sandy yesterday and will be using some of those.

Then I found this one. It looks like it's a block of T's. I couldn't get a good pic of it but I can see the T's and it depends where you put the light and darks.

I took Barbara Brackman's , Encyclopedia to bed last night and guess what I found? I found the Cross quilt I just finished in there and also this T one...so I can feel free to share what I do with them.

I thought this was interesting. She only uses the selvages off of the fabric.

Bunches of ideas on Pinterest, especially if you just need the picture.

http://pinterest.com/lindenmb/charm-pack-ideas/
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Here's one I did with a charm pack - used the solids in the pack to make the border. The pattern is in the Moda Bakeshop - although I altered it a bit for me.

Name:  BrysonQuilt_web.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  111.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post

do it with me lol

I love this one, I might try it myself, will put this on my list.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Oh I love all the ideas. Here is some I found. I found this one on the web somewhere and saved the pic. Then last night I went through some Mccalls mags and found it yayyyyyyyyyyyy

I was going to do it my way but when I read the instruction it was totally different. I will start this one first and post pics.
    I just made a quilt from a picture, and I thought I could "do it my way" but I was wondering why the block had such a strange measurement. Later I figured it out. I was including the sashing into the block, and the block was supposed to be a quarter of four different blocks put together with the sashing. I learn from every mistake. I'm getting really smart. LOL
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I love the charm, scrap quilts too - with all the travling we do it's so, sew easy to just pick up where I left off - kids and gK seem to like them the best too. Some I make "raggy" kids love the feel of them.

I asked this question about a month ago too and someone said to look at the Moda bakeshop and Pintrest. I think they probably have the best patterns. One thing I have noticed in patterns is that they cut the charm square and you end up throwing away fabric. I was raised by a mother who survived the Depression (yeah, I know this is a mini-history lesson) so now I usually adjust the pattern so that I don't cut and throw away. I bought huge amounts of charm squares from Missouri Star Quilt company and now am ready to start on them too.

do it with me lol

Wish I had seen this before I turned a bunch of 2.5 strips into a version of the Jelly Roll Race quilt last week. It would have taken a lot longer to make, but more interesting. Oh well, will save more strips for this one.
    Thimble and Thread

Jenny over at Missouri Star Quilt Company just posted a new tutorial:

Window Pane 9 Patch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZfnR8K9rCs

It's so gorgeous! And so simple!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxC-0T5lXw4 just saw this from a question about 10in squares but it sure could be designed for any size square of fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    I asked this question about a month ago too and someone said to look at the Moda bakeshop and Pintrest. I think they probably have the best patterns. One thing I have noticed in patterns is that they cut the charm square and you end up throwing away fabric. I was raised by a mother who survived the Depression (yeah, I know this is a mini-history lesson) so now I usually adjust the pattern so that I don't cut and throw away. I bought huge amounts of charm squares from Missouri Star Quilt company and now am ready to start on them too.
    My mother didn't survive the depression, but was raised by a widow in Italy where she was taught not to waste *anything*!! It's amazing to see Charm pack patterns where there is soo much waste and cutting. I thought the idea was to do LESS cutting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast