Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i think this is what heaven looks like :) >

i think this is what heaven looks like :)

i think this is what heaven looks like :)

Old 03-13-2014, 04:23 AM

My grandson asked me to make him a quilt around Christmas time. I said of course and then got busy. I made a DP9 out of all the manly colors I could find in my stash. If I can find the pictures I will post them. It's a QAYG and was my first one. Learned a lot of that one.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:41 AM

Two years ago my 8 year old (at the time) grandson was visiting while I was working on my granddaughters (cousins) quilt for her graduation present. At that time he asked me if I would make him a quilt... really surprised me that he as a boy would want one. Took me several months to decide what fabrics would work the best in an Irish Chain design and finally came up with Star Wars fabric because he loves to play with Star Wars logos. This week when I was talking with my daughter-in-law asked her if she wanted to send the quilt down with him and I would laundry it for him while he is here next week. She said that 1) she was scared to death to laundry it 2) he would be so happy to have it with him while he is here because he sleeps wrapped up in it every night even in the summer. Made my heart want to POP with pride.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:45 AM

I have three grandsons, all now nearing 40 years old and one of them came to me several months ago and said he didn't have a quilt from me any more. (He's already had two). I had a really nice panel of the wolf howling at the moon and I added pinwheel blocks and lots of "forest" colors around it and it turned out wonderfully. My daughter quilted it for me and I just need to get the label on (maybe today) and then I can call him. Can't wait to see his face! They have always loved my quilts (and so have the granddaughters).
Old 03-13-2014, 04:53 AM

Over the last several years I have frequented a coffee shop most mornings and became friends with a man old enough to be my father. When he didn't show up, I went to his apt and had the manager do a welfare check. He just about died so long story, he's now in a nursing home and I am in charge of him. He raced cars all his life and he had lots of car t-shirts. I made him a t-shirt quilt for his bed with white shirts on one side and black on the other. He loves it and shows it to everyone that comes into his room. In learning more about him and his life, I don't think anyone ever gave him much, a good part of his life he lived like the homeless. He still says he could leave the nursing home and live in the back of his truck. Anyway, it warms my heart to know he really appreciates his quilt.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:09 AM

Carreen... your story warms my heart!
Thank you, thank you... THANK YOU!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:14 AM

after reading all these posts...

yes, this IS what heaven is like!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:10 AM

Its so great to hear stories of quilts that are really appreciated. I'm blessed that all my children and their spouses like my quilts. I was showing my son a quilt that I recently finished and commented that he didn't have to worry I wouldn't try to make him take it home with him. He said that he and his wife were just talking about how they would like another but they didn't want to appear greedy. It was at light speed that I gifted it to him.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Yippee for you. I remember making my DS a bright blue/black Irish chain when he was about 10 or 12, thereabouts, complete with a leopard print backing. Even after leaving home, come back, leaving and coming back again, the quilt traveled with him, I was very touched. Now I'm in the process of coming up with a quilt for DS and DDIL for their king size bed, but I have only seen the paint chips, so it's difficult to get fabric without them. I'll keep asking though, as sometimes a request from me takes several more requests before I get what I asked for. LOL. Kids. Can't wait to see what you and he came up with.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 AM

My husband and oldest son "got it" about quilting. Our youngest son has always chosen his own path in life. When he was home for a visit he saw the pioneer quilt that I had made for his father. He wanted one. Because he wanted it before he ended his visit, we worked together. He helped cut and iron and I sewed like a mad woman. He loves it and uses it every day. We both learned to appreciate ( a little more) the talents that we both have
Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM

That's great! So glad he is enthusiastic about the quilt. My DH always shunned quilts until I offered to make him a medallion quilt in black, silver, and gold, with medieval theme and now he is all geeked out about it. I've been working with him on the layout and patterns and hope to start it sometime this year! Would love to see your son's quilt when you get it done.