Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Thought Stitch in the Ditch meant in the Seam >

I Thought Stitch in the Ditch meant in the Seam

I Thought Stitch in the Ditch meant in the Seam

Old 03-28-2015, 07:27 AM

I have always sewn as close to the actual seam as possible and always thought that was one of the reasons, pressing to the side was important....it kind of gives a natural ridge.......
Old 03-28-2015, 07:38 AM

When I first encountered SID I thought they meant right on the seam too, but now I sew just a tad to the left. "Tad" is a sewing term just like a "scant" 1/4 inch. When I read the definition of "scant" I thought they had to be kidding. One thread off a 1/4 inch? Please don't give up on FMQ, you will find that you will love it after doing it for awhile. I, too, was disappointed in my first attempts; but kept on practicing and now I love it. You can do amazing things in the negative space with FMQ and for the open areas on a block you can make amazing contributions to set off the block.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:04 AM

I think stitch in the ditch comes from hand quilting. It is easier to quilt on the side with the lesser bulk. Now with machine quilting it does not matter because the machine has enough power to go through the bulk. I do not stitch in the seam because I feel it is less strong there. I stich next to the seam, but you can do what you want, that is the beauty of making quilt, you can do it your way. There are no rules, just guidelines, feel free to bend break or follow them as you wish.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 AM

I must have that stitch on my machine but I'm not sure which it is. I remember previous conversations about it. What does it look like on your machine?

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
Forget stitch in the ditch. It's nearly impossible to stay exactly on that seam line. If your machine has a nice serpentine stitch, use that. If it's slightly off no one will notice and it's much more interesting.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:50 AM

I'm having a lot of tension problems but I need to take my new machine in to see if the tension adjustment even works on it. I think it will be fun too -- if I stick with it!

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
When I first encountered SID I thought they meant right on the seam too, but now I sew just a tad to the left. "Tad" is a sewing term just like a "scant" 1/4 inch. When I read the definition of "scant" I thought they had to be kidding. One thread off a 1/4 inch? Please don't give up on FMQ, you will find that you will love it after doing it for awhile. I, too, was disappointed in my first attempts; but kept on practicing and now I love it. You can do amazing things in the negative space with FMQ and for the open areas on a block you can make amazing contributions to set off the block.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
This blind hem foot can really help. See the little flange on the bottom? That rides in the seam and you adjust your needle to sew right beside it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]515006[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]515007[/ATTACH]
Funny that is what my pin tuck or cording foot looks like on the bernina. The grooves keep you in line or handle the cording to stitch down.

I think that form should follow function in my own opinion. Why not stitch on the side with the seams? Other than the fact that there is a lot more fabric to deal with, it would almost encase the raw edges, tack down the bulk and also give a security seam to keep the quilt in tack if there was a popped piecing seam.

But, it is so true that it is the maker's choice what she does with her quilt. I love creative choice.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-28-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:39 AM

My cording foot looks totally different. I don't know why my pictures are so huge. I saved it at 640 in Windows Gallery. I think I'll reinstall my HP photo software.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]515042[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
Funny that is what my pin tuck or cording foot looks like on the bernina. The grooves keep you in line or handle the cording to stitch down.

I was just thinking that last night, it would be great to tack down all that bulk. I think it would be harder to keep the stitching straight though.

I think that form should follow function in my own opinion. Why not stitch on the side with the seams? Other than the fact that there is a lot more fabric to deal with, it would almost encase the raw edges, tack down the bulk and also give a security seam to keep the quilt in tack if there was a popped piecing seam.

I agree, and a point I've tried to make is that I just accepted whatever I was taught in my first class and didn't really think about it. Since then I've tried many different ways of doing it. I learn a lot on this board!

But, it is so true that it is the maker's choice what she does with her quilt. I love creative choice.
Attached Thumbnails corded.jpg  
Old 03-28-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I actually pull the seam apart just slightly and sew on the "low" side. Then when I release the seam, the stitch is dang near buried "in the ditch."
This is the way I was taught.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm with you, although I've been told that stitching in the "ditch" means slightly off to one side or the other of the seam line. I'm not to picky about it as sometimes I do a little of both, but it gets the job done - personal preference.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:30 PM

Good topic for discussion! I will stitch on the seam or nearly so if my intention is to make the stitching disappear. Lately that has seemed less important, so I try to keep a constant distance from the seam, and will often stitch on both high and low sides to keep that distance when stitching inside or outside of a design element. I've found a zipper foot can work nicely for this, providing better visibility, and haven't had any wrinkle problems as long as the quilt is well pinned or basted.