Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Was I told wrong? >

Was I told wrong?

Was I told wrong?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 PM

I don't think I would trust that teacher! I never knew a teacher to tell a student you "can't" do something that can obviously be done!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

I have been long arm quilting for customers for almost 8 years. i do free motion quilting every day...without a stitch regulator-
i have a regulator i just never use it. and some of my people who rent time use it some don't...i do not see why anyone would say you can NOT do anything...i do it all the time
Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard....quilter's have been FMQing ages before those $500 stitch regulators came out for the long arms....and of course each one of them is machine specific. I believe only Bernina has those with their domestic machines. Amazing that woman could even utter those words!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:53 PM

I was never able to do it on my old Singer. The needle would break. But on my Elna, I drop the feed dogs, turn the speed up as high as it will go and lots of practice. Even now, after having done quite a bit of FMQ I still warm up on a scrap before each sewing session.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:59 PM

I actually had a couple VERY good FMQers tell me that they unplugged their regulators because it inhibited them, and at times couldn't keep up. I was told that with no regulator, and LOTS of practice, in the long run you'll be happier. I now agree. I'm a novice, but just in the 2 months I've been really practicing I've seen drastic improvements.

Google some Sharon Schamber, Harriet Hargrave and Leah DAy stuff/quilts, and you'll see just what IS attainable without a regulator. :)
Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 PM

I'm not an expert but I could FMQ on my 22yr old machine with the feeddogs up. Actually, leaving them up helps regulate the stitches. I've only done a few using FMQ, & I can see I'm getting better at it but truthfully, all you need to start trying is a darning or FMQ foot with the rounded front & the spring on the side.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 PM

I did FMQ for over 25 years without a regulator, it's a matter of practice and knowing your machine.

I actually had to relearn when I started to use a regulator, it changed how I moved the fabric.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Holy cow, I'm hoping there was a miscommunication some place! If not, I wouldn't trust her...

Not only do you not have to have a stitch regulator (I think they are a "relatively" new thing), you don't even have to have a machine that can drop the dogs.

What you DO need is the patience to keep at it - practice, practice, practice.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 PM

The only foot I use for FMQ is the darning foot. (round, clear beast that has a spring in back; some are open toed). I have FMQ'd using a regular foot (but clear) as well. I still drop the dogs, but that's my preference. As far as a stitch regulator goes-it is an unnecessary expense for me. I used to have one, but it got lost, and I haven't missed it nor replaced it. Some swear by them, but I just put my lips together and blow. :lol:
Old 04-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sandee
I'm not an expert but I could FMQ on my 22yr old machine with the feeddogs up. Actually, leaving them up helps regulate the stitches. I've only done a few using FMQ, & I can see I'm getting better at it but truthfully, all you need to start trying is a darning or FMQ foot with the rounded front & the spring on the side.
Yes!! :lol: