Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I took the long arm plunge!!! >

I took the long arm plunge!!!

I took the long arm plunge!!!

Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 AM

Default I took the long arm plunge!!!

Not so much a "plunge" as a "wade".

Back in June I had it in my head that I wanted a long arm and went to the big quilt show in Chicago and test drove all they had to offer. I fell in love with the Innova with lightning stitch. Since then I've been waffling over do I want one or not??? So even though hubby was pushing me to buy one (and confessed he was going to buy it for me for my birthday (Oct 18)), I've been reluctant to lay out good $$ for the Innova of my dreams.

Being unsure if I wanted one or not ... I've been trolling Craig's list and E-bay for used machines.

Two days ago I found a machine close to home being advertised. It's a Voyager 17 on a stretch Hinterberg with a stitch regulator. Currently sits at 84", has a set of "groovy" boards with 4 panto's (I doubt I'll be a panto person, but they're there), and a stand-alone bobbin winder. Purchased in 2008 and she has made 3 whole quilts on it. Not a machine I had test drove before (because they don't make them anymore). For the price, I thought it would be a great machine for me to start with, and if I really liked it and wanted to upgrade someday - the Voyager's seem to have pretty good resale value (Hinterberg/Nolting are still buying them to refurbish). I researched it and found only two marks against it ... it's very heavy when off the frame (but the weight isn't an issue when on the frame, easy to maneuver), and it can be picky about thread - especially my favorite thread. I can live with these.

So I went up to test drive it today. I liked it

I didn't "love" it like I loved the Innova (that machine is sweeeeet!), but this machine will give me what I want ... experience with a long arm to determine IF I want a long arm. Who knows ... some day I might upgrade to the Innova.

Pick it up tomorrow.

I may be picking brains here once I get it home!!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Wonderful! I hope it works out for you and is everything you want!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(yes, screaming from the rooftop, so you hear me, all the way "down" there!!)
Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 AM

I've got the Voyager and Hinterberg frame and am perfectly happy with it. I have no desire to do computerized (I like the satisfaction of doing it myself and actually learning how to LA, instead of the LA doing the work for me!) and don't need (nor want) the "Big Boy" machines and frames. Mine also has the stitch regulator, and it works just fine for me. I also have the boards, but installed them upside-down so I've got free space back there when I'm pinning, marking, etc. The only thread mine doesn't like is invisible thread. Otherwise, it will gladly sew anything I feed it. I've named mine Laverne and Shirley. Laverne is the frame, Shirley is the Voyager (after my mom, who taught me how to sew). So now I just say "I'm off to visit Laverne & Shirley!" and DH knows exactly what I'll be doing LOL. It's a great machine. You'll have a good time with it!

Last edited by cindi; 09-28-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

​Congratulations!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 AM

You might also want to join the Hinterberg Yahoo group. Those girls are whizzes at the Voyager, and several of them even sell attachments. I've bought several things from them, and it's all been quality stuff. They can answer any question you throw at them, and doing a search on the group will come up with almost any answer you might have a question about.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
(yes, screaming from the rooftop, so you hear me, all the way "down" there!!)
Is that what that noise was??? Gosh ... thanks
Old 09-28-2013, 10:48 AM

Thanks Cindi! I might check out the yahoo group, but as a general rule I really don't like the way Yahoo groups are organized/delivered. I've belonged to several and I never could get along with Yahoo. I WILL check it out though at least so I have access.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Congratulations on your new long arm! I hope you have many many happy hours of quilting. Starting with a more affordable machine was really smart in my opinion. You can always sell it and move up to your dream machine later, or you may find this machine is just right for you.

I know I feel a deep sense of accomplishment whether I free motion or use the computer (which is a whole other level of difficulty for some of us to conquer).
Old 09-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Is that what that noise was??? Gosh ... thanks
Yeppirrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

I was squealing with delight .... ALL.FOR.YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!