Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I was volunteered! Help! >

I was volunteered! Help!

I was volunteered! Help!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 AM

Well, I got the quilt back from LA and I am really disappointed. I don't LAQ myself, but I could have done what was done. I feel like it makes the quilt look like something a kid could have done. I did have her use a wool batting for extra warmth, but it was the super large meandering that really throws it off. It is way too puffy! Maybe I should just let it go. But it isn't like I have a ton of time to redo and send to my regular LAer in the States. I used our on post shop here and her work is newer but I've seen her do incredible work, just not this time! I'm still going to bind and label it tomorrow to mail by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I am disappointed but I hope he isn't. Went from feeling great to feeling really bad about my gift!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Quilt-T, I am sure he will love it as is. He won't know what you had envisioned for your lovely quilt. He will be thrilled to have the extra warmth and to know that someone was thinking about him.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-T View Post
Well, I got the quilt back from LA and I am really disappointed. ..................I am disappointed but I hope he isn't. Went from feeling great to feeling really bad about my gift!
Oh please don't feel bad! The ones my daughter in law are sending are so basic and uneven that yours will look great. I know the boy whom it is for will so appreciate it! And they don't know if a quilt should have small or large meandering, fancy quilting, SITD or be tied or if it should be puffy or totally flat. I happen to like the puffy look myself! The soldiers aren't the quilt police, what they will see and feel is the love and respect and support that went into the quilts.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. I'm jut feeling deflated I guess because I had a vision in my mind of how it should have looked. I cried about it some when I got home as I wanted it to be so different. I don't mind puffy, I just didn't see it for this one. I am even nervous about washing it once it's done. I will bind and label it tomorrow. It will be nice to let it go with all the love and support I meant for it to have. Thank you again for letting me be a part of it all!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM

Well, it's 2am here and I just finished the binding! Label and wash tonight after work to mail it on Tuesday. I will post a pic later once my hubby is awake to take it for me-lol! Feeling better about it and anxious to get it to the recipient!!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM

I am doing the quilting on my red bargello on my DSM, and the other two tops are at the LA. So I just have the binding on all of them to do on Monday and Tues and hopefully I will have mine to her by Tuesday night/Wed AM.
(Actually, right now I am "frogging" some of my quilting on the bargello.... rippit, rippit..)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM

My DIL wanted me to pass this along to you...
"I can't begin to tell you thank you for all that you have helped with. These all will be getting mailed middle of next week (once they have all arrived), it will take approximately 2 weeks for them to arrive to Afghanistan from the States (if not a little longer because of holiday mail or possible weather changes i.e. snow). I have informed my husband (who will be playing Santa and handing out the guys their quilts) to get a picture of all as a group or individually. The Platoon Sergeant's wife has also informed her husband to get a photo or a few atleast for all you ladies! So, one way or another it will get done!

Thank you so much again for all your time and effort in getting this done. I know the guy's will truly appreciate it!

-Alicia

Go Rakks!"
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM

I don't know what a Rakk is though....
Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM

Rakk = Random Act of Kindness

Your ex-DIL is a real sweetheart to undertake this project and you were an angel to help her! The others were genuinely special people who wanted to help in this very special project.

OR
Rakks = bat-like dragons that disrupt the enemy on the xBox Borderlands(2) game. Don't know how young and hip Alicia is!

Last edited by Kathy T.; 11-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy T. View Post
Rakk = Random Act of Kindness

Your ex-DIL is a real sweetheart to undertake this project and you were an angel to help her! The others were genuinely special people who wanted to help in this very special project.

OR
Rakks = bat-like dragons that disrupt the enemy on the xBox Borderlands(2) game. Don't know how young and hip Alicia is!
LOL. She is pretty young so it would more likely the XBox game. But I think it is probably the nickname of her husbands Army unit.