Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want to Cry >

I want to Cry

I want to Cry

Old 12-14-2012, 04:07 PM

lots of good advice. everyone is right. it will work out, and she will never know. i would hand sew it, and then just finish it.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 AM

This happened to me on my first quilt that I was hand quilting. I was able to fix the seam. Wasn't 100% but it is on black and not that noticable unless you really look. I like the fusible web idea. And, on another quilt I was making for my boss....I tried things I'd never done before, basically designing as I went and machine quilting for the first time and it looked good and she loved it but to me......it almost went into the fire!!!! So, even if you can see your mistakes, others can't. I'm sure she will love and cherish the quilt.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:48 AM

The poster who said to put it aside is right. You need to think about something else for a while. You state in your post that this quilt has been stressful throughout the process of making this quilt. I,too, can get tunnel blindness, thinking I MUST FINISH THIS. When I feel like that, I usually make mistakes. If you walk away today, do something else, go to a movie, visit a friend, just get your mind off this problem. When you come back, the answer may be obvious. In any case, you will be in a better frame of mind to deal with this. If you don't get it for Christmas, give a different gift. Give yourself a break. The world won't end if this quilt isn't ready.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:16 AM

Don't despair---Google "ladder stitch." Ladder stitch enables you to join a seam invisibly. I use it to close the seam after stuffing a doll or animal.

There are video tutes but this is a good step-by-step picture lesson: http://www.sew-it-love-it.com/ladder-stitch.html

Last edited by Greenheron; 12-15-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Did you figure out a fix? I am in Glendale, but I would be willing to meet you at a quilt shop and see if we can 'get 'er done!' I will be driving across the valley to Mesa Gateway on Friday. If that would work, PM and we can talk. There is nothing worse than being ALMOST done..and hitting a roadblock. I would be happy to help you!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Send me a private message, I will send you my private email address and you can send the picture to it. I am very good at fixing mistakes and hopefully can guide you through it
Old 12-15-2012, 03:09 PM

Oh, I feel your pain. I decided this year to make a quilt for my husband. It was the first time I had made anything over the size of a baby quilt. All of those scrappies with just tying them off. So, after going with DH to the LQS, picking out his fabrics, and all the notions needed I went to work. I ended up with what I thought was a great top. I then sandwiched it and took off on the SID only to find that several of the seams were coming apart. I was devistated. I wanted this one to be perfect. DH came home and found me crying and feeling completely defeated. He wanted to know what was wrong with just handstitching it the best I could. I told him that it would probably show seeing as how I am not the best at hand stitching. You know he said something that I never thought off. He said 'Babe, it doesnt matter if it has a couple of flaws it well still be perfect because you thought enought to do it, you did youre best at the time, and the flaws are what makes it unique." I thought to myself one, what a man and two, he is right. So dont worry about it unless its some huge mess that can be seen from a mile away. It is the thought and time that you put into it that counts. After all do you see him entering it in some contest later on. Probaably not.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Sorry you are crying. Been there done that. It is the Christmas season. Not a time for frustrations. It is a time for love and peace and family coming together. Maybe you can put the quilt aside and think about it another time. If you really want to make her something how about a pretty shawl to keep the chill away. Just for now and once the holiday is over you will not be rushed and can take the time redoing the quilt for another occasion. Wishing you Gods Blessing.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
When I started quilting I would find my fabric coming apart at some seams. After taking the seam out I could tell I didn't sew both sides of the fabric 1/4". One side was barely caught in the seam. I've learned to be very sure my fabric is lined up straight as I sew seams. I also learned that the bad quality fabric I used for some pieces was fraying and pulling out of the seam. I make sure all my fabric is good quality. I have tossed many a started quilt in the trash because of nothing but frustration and mess ups. I have learned that every step is important to a good finish. It won't even out, it won't quilt out and it will be noticeable. Buy her a nice box of chocolates and make another quilt for her birthday.
Yes that's usually the problem when seams open up, I've been teaching my neighbor to piece and quilt and have to keep reminding her to keep both edges together, She tries to go to fast and lets them slip and also have to keep stressing to her how important it is to keep the seams 1/4 ".
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 PM

when I have a seam come apart.. I use the ladder stitch to repair it. >You take a stitch on the right side and then go straight over to the left side and take another stitch and then that will draw the pieces together ,keep it up as far as you need... you may have to use your ripper and take out a few stitches to line up the new seam. . it will look good.as new if you do it easy and take your time, I have to do it every once in awhile. cmaras

PS> some call it the H STITCH.