Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a new sewing machine... >

I want a new sewing machine...

I want a new sewing machine...

Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 PM

I see lots of replys for vikings but I have a pfaff and love it. It has wonder features. My strong suggestion to you is to check with your local dealer as they have trade ins. You may be able to negotiate if you have cash. and those machine have usually just been serviced. And Craigs list......keep looking, and be patient and you will find a machine.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 PM

Get a babylock, they are really reliable and you already seem to like them. I love mine. Maybe look for a used one at your dealer. I don't have anything bad to say about mine. Look at the jane if you want it for FMQ or maybe the quilters choice don't know what its called now
Old 03-10-2012, 03:54 PM

I know how you feel. I received a Brother LS 2000 three years ago as a christmas gift after having to consistantly borrow my mother in laws machine when I wanted to quilt. They got me this machine to suit my needs then. I truely love this machine as it has sentimentally value and is a great machine. It just doesnt have alot of the features I now would like to have not to mention by the time I but all the different feet and other attachments I desire I would be spending over $100.00. I'm pretty new to the quilting world here on the board and not familiar with alot of the lingo of the quilting world so I'm not sure of the some of the things you're referring to so I'm not sure if this will help hope it does. I recently decided to purchase a new machine and began searching. I also had little cash on hand to so and thought I would never find one. I was looking for one with several different feet like walking, overcast, etc. After alot of searching about a week of constant looking on line I purchases another Brother. This time the CS 6000i. It came with the extension table, 9 different feet including the walking and overcast, along with a other things. It's computerized with 60 stitches has a start/stop button, reverse/reinforce stitch button, a needle up/down button. It has what I would call an automatic threader, along with rapid fill and quick set bobbin. The only foot that I was looking for that it did not include was the 1/4 inch but that was no major biggy since for this particular model they can be found online for under $20.00. All together with the extended 2 years warranty it was only slightly under $200.00. I ordered it from walmart.com. My deciding factor was all the reviews that were posted for this machine. There was close to 700 reviews with over a 90% 4 star or higher rating. I have had it about two weeks now and love it. Hope this helps.

Last edited by mdall; 03-10-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:29 PM

I would try out all the machines in your area, sew on every one of them. Ask if it comes with the attachments you want. My local Bernina dealer (and I don't buy Bernina) had 17 brought in that day for repair. We were making pillowcases that day, the store provided the fabic, and I sewed on one that was used at $850 and I truly hated it. It sounded like a tractor, made out of plastic, and it seemed like I had to push on the foot pedal too much to make it go.
The main one is a White, maybe 17 yrs. old now, and I use it for everything including slipcovers, lots of cording, many layers. I would try very hard to make your machine work right. Unthread it, use a new bobbin, and make sure the needle is in right. On a scrap of fabric, sew a few inches. The top thread, if loose, means you have a problem with the bobbin area. If the bobbin thread is loose, it is the top tension or you have it threaded wrong. Make sure your needle is in correctly. Get your book out and see if the flat side of the needle is to the back or a side. It makes all the difference in the world. Since I have several machines, I put a note in the little box attached to the machine. You can write it on a piece of tape and attach that. If the threads on your scrap fabric are not meeting in the middle of the fabric, then go back over what I told you.
w
Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM

It's me again. I had to close that one, it would not let me finish. Anyway, say the top thread is loose in your sewing, making all kinds of loops. Take your bobbin out, get your book out again and see how to thread your bobbin correctly. Mark that area in the book so you can reference it quickly too or write a note in your box again. Okay, thread the bobbin correctly. Take the thread and try to hold your bobbin by that thread. If it slides down, then your have to adjust the screw that is on the bobbin casing. Turn it only one quarter turn, not a half. Try it again. The thread should hold the bobbin itself. Always adjust that screw by one quarter of a turn. Okay, if the thread is too tight and you can
hardly pull it out of the bobbin casing, then turn the screw counter-clockwise, again 1/4 turn. A lot of people do not know this and it is a very easy way to get it right. Try your sample fabric again, sew a few inches and see what happens. Remember, your threads, both top and bottom, should meet in the middle of the fabric. You should not see loops on the top or the bottom. Hope this helps you. I keep my old machines because I cannot find one that I like.
My old one I use at my cottage is about 45 yrs. old and I love it. It came from Penneys. Sears still sell machines and you could find a good one there. I would recommend an older one any day. Make sure, if you buy a new one, that the parts are not plastic, they can break easily. Good luck and have fun sewing. Also, make sure you are getting the right needles for your machine.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 PM

I got my Brother XL-3750 for about $200 and according to my repair dude, its one of the better quality Brothers. I have had mine for 4 years and just took it the the shop for the very first time to be oiled etc (it seized up because I didn't oil it even though I knew it was time). I can do a lot on this machine. Maybe the Brother website is still selling them? I don't recommend a new Singer...they are being made really awful. Jenome if you can afford it, for sure. I'm saving up for one, but the one I want is an easy $3000.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:28 AM

Default I like used machines because......

I am very close to "sisters" to you on your story. I had the "walmart" singer at first, then I caught the bug in October!
I will ONLY buy used machines, and am very very very satisfied with my pawn shop Janome.
I have also had (in no particular order) the following machines since October: 1972 Elna, 1964 Kenmore 48 (lavender! so cute!), 1954 Singer 99k, Juki 98e, Janome l-392, (2) Singer Simples and another Kenmore that I can't remember what it is!! I am also waiting on a part for my Singer 7422. It is certainly not vintage! Oh, I see you are in Middle TN, would you like to buy a Singer 7422?
In my many months of looking, I've never seen a used BabyLock, though, so that might be a sign that once you have one, you never get rid of it!
I am so tight that I squeak when I walk, so I have a hard time parting with $20 for a sewing machine, much less $500 for one. My husband bought me the Juki with a frame set-up for $750 and the whole time it was in my house, I felt guilty and didn't want to use it at all. I finished one quilt on the machine (off-frame, never did get the hang of it) and sold it and felt much less stress.
Also, I have learned to take the tupperware off the machine, clean it, oil it, tinker with it and put it back together. I would NEVER attempt this with a machine I had a huge investment in. Yes, I realize if I spent $400 at the dealer, I could take it to them and drop it off and wait a week or a month for them to do it for me. But I don't have time for that anyway. I live in the middle of nowhere and I quilt like other people (normal?!) watch TV. I love my machines because I don't have to worry about them or baby them.

I have compared buying a sewing machine to buying a car too (I have a Camry too and it's barely broken in with 225k miles!!) and it's almost exactly like buying a motorcycle. When we started riding, we started with small bikes and traded until we got exactly what fit us personally. I've done the same with sewing machines. I started small and found out that I liked playing with fabric. I got a small starter machine then tried different ones that I acquired. I know it sounds like I've spent more than $500 on these machines, but I've kept a very careful record and the bottom line on what I've bought and sold is $210. I still have four machines, and I need to part with three of them, so I anticipate "sewing for free" soon! I am going to try to attach what I have left.
It is a totally personal choice, but I am the type of person that tries to buy *everything* used for my personal economy and for the environment. I also enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the anticipation of the sale, which isn't for everybody! My husband and I both love going to estate sales (bad place to buy machines!) and antique stores, pawn shops, thrift stores (another bad place!), etc and I cruise Craigslist daily. He has his "collections" and I have mine! For us, it's a no-brainer. Our hobbies are self-sufficient at this time, and as long as it continues to be, I don't have to wait for a windfall for my dream machine! I just have to be at the right place at the right time!
Attached Thumbnails collection-obsession.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 AM

For the Viking; yes the do have machines for under 500. They are really good machines and work horses. If you go to a LQS you should be able to try it out. I have a Viking #1 w/embroidery, it was my first and as soon as I have time to test it since it just came back from servicing I'm putting it on sale since a few months ago I bought a Viking Ruby; I love it, it's easy to use and set up and has so many bells and whistles. Will take me a while to learn them all but that's life. I also have a Viking Mega quilter; a great machine. I have had only luck with Vikings. The thing about the Bernette; it's not made nor supported by Bernina; so beware on that one. My other machine that I have is a Kenmore made by Janome that I got at Sears a few years ago and it's my backup when my embroidery is in motion or I have a class that I don't need to have the Ruby at. I got the warranty package from Sears and that was good. You are right about the thread. My machines so far aren't finicky with what thread I use but I've read on here where other machines are. Rather they are expensive machines or cheap ones and rather it's cheap thread or expensive thread; you can have issues. If you can go into a store and test drive some machines to see what they have you'll be happier with your purchase. If possible; I'd stear away from buying from Walmarts or something like that. The machines made for them aren't like the ones sold in fabric stores. Good luck on your search.