Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I wil never get it right >

I wil never get it right

I wil never get it right

Old 01-24-2014, 07:05 AM

This has been a wonderful discussion for me, because I have the same problems. I recently finished a quilt for my GS - a variation of log cabin and found that I couldn't press it accurately because some of the fabrics were heavier than others - every one of the blocks were off size in different ways - at least I think that is what caused the problem. And I know my 1/4 " seam gets off, but I realized why - thank you Hevemi - my 1/4" foot doesn't hold the fabric well - I'm going to go back to the straight foot on my next quilt and see if that helps. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:16 AM

Just out of curiosity, have you checked your feed dogs? I ran into a Singer Featherweight with worn ones. You couldn't sew straight for love nor money. Singer also made machines with rubber feed dogs, another impossibility.

If the teeth are worn, the fabric will feed through funny.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 AM

misseva- that's a great idea, don't know why I haven't thought of it, but glad you mentioned it before I made my new ironing board cover.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 AM

What kind of presser foot are you using? For example there are 2 (two) 1/4" presser foots that are available for my viking. One is for quilters and the other is NOT. I found this out the hard way. Went to buy one and the woman who was 'covering' for the normal viking employee sold me the wrong one. 1/2 way through a house block when I went to purchase it...my block ended up so wonky! It was not the one for 'quilting.' Luckily when I went back a few days later the normal viking employee was back and she clarified that there are indeed two 1/4" presser feet for my machine. You have to specify that it's for quilting...and if the right employee is there, you should be all set! Keep the faith!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 AM

cathyvv-the reason for the minimum 2 hours before drying the fabric, is that it's actually "soaking" into the fibers of the fabric, then, when you iron the fabric, you're ironing the fabric, not the starch. If you spray the fabric, then iron, what you're really doing is ironing the starch, which is why your iron gets all gunked up. I've never had a problem with my iron getting gunked up doing it this way.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:34 AM

A class instructor I had once told those of us with Multiple stitch machines to set the needle to the right as far as it would go and to measure for your quarter inch seam from there. This ensures that you are using all of the feed dog area. Another thought is no one really cares what size the seam is as long as your stitched piece is the correct size. Instead of worrying about the seam width worry about the finished block. In other words make sure that if you should end up with 4 x 4 that that is what you have. compensate seam allowance from there.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I was once in a swap that a member started. The items I received from the member that started the swap were so off but I knew she had done her best and I loved them. That was a few years ago and I still use and treasure them to this day. Have you tried placing a double-stacked strip of blue painters tape 1/4" to the right of your needle. As your fabric meets the tape, it cannot go any farther to the right. I learned this at our quilt guild and it sure helped me. Don't give up.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:02 AM

For my computer machines I use Bonnie Hunter's method http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/...-saturday.html for my Featherweight I use a magnetic seam guide that I line up with Bonnie's little ruler.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:31 AM

Maybe the pressure is to lie on foot...my default is 6 and I leave it there for most every piecing I do...the only time I lower it for walking foot(4).
Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM

I saw a tip here on this board some time ago that has helped me more than anything else, it works so well. The tip was to use command damage free hanging strips stuck to the quarter inch on your machine to guide the fabric. It can be removed and used over and over. It has worked so well for me better than any other thing I have used. Good luck in finding what works best for you. Just relax and have fun.