Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I will never use red and maroon fabric in a quilt again! >

I will never use red and maroon fabric in a quilt again!

I will never use red and maroon fabric in a quilt again!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
Sometimes you just have to give up and bite the big one. I had a Madras shirt from India that never quit bleeding.
I thought Madras fabric from India was supposed to bleed.

Last edited by gingerella; 05-30-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: syntax
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by creed View Post
I use salt or epsom salts to set colors. Hope this works for you .
This works for some organic dyes, but is highly unlikely to work with modern chemical dyes. Most fabrics do not bleed, so you can be fooled into thinking salt is working when in all probability you have just been lucky so far and not gotten a bleeder fabric.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Please do not confuse Retayne with Synthrapol! Use Synthrapol with color catchers (in a machine that uses lots of water, so any dye bleeds are sufficiently diluted) to wash a finished quilt. Retayne is for prewashing fabrics. If you use Retayne on a finished quilt and a fabric in that quilt bleeds, Retayne will set the bleed.

Thank-you for taking the time to respond to my post....I do know this but it's always nice to have someone step up and remind the differences between the products. I purchased both products by the gallon from the manufacturer when we lived in Denver and have used both for years. Just hope that the Synthrapol will lift the bleed...I just got the quilt back last night and will bind it and into the deep water washer .... thank goodness we just replaced that horrible HE washer where clothing is never immersed in water.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:24 PM

Add me to the growing list of people who are disappointed in the HE washers. I wish I'd stuck with the old design, and by the time I'm able to replace this one, the old tub-style machines will be obsolete!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Add me to the growing list of people who are disappointed in the HE washers. I wish I'd stuck with the old design, and by the time I'm able to replace this one, the old tub-style machines will be obsolete!
My HE top loadwasher has a 'bulky' setting which does fill the tub like the old agitator style machines. I use that setting frequently!

As to the OP- i did have one red that bled, the last thing i tried was to wash a swatch of red with a swatch of the fabric I was putting it with to see if the new fabric would pick up the red. It didn't so I went forward with it and the owner of that quilt has never had an issue with it either!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I picked up some great tips! I will be sending a box of color catchers with my red and white quilt to my sister in law.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

Peggi ~ Do I have good news for you!!!! Speed Queen still makes the old tub-style machines. They are the same mechanically that are in laundry mats. The best warranty in the industry 3 yrs parts labor 5 yrs motor and 10 years transmission. No computer brain...just dials. Quilt size stainless steel tub....

It is the same machine they use in laundry mats from the top down. AMERICAN MADE.... It's not fancy like the piece of HE we had to trash because the computer said it was out of balance all the time....it was just 6 years old when it started giving us fits...it was Kenmore/Maytag's top of the line at the time, rated tops with consumer reports. But one year and it had to have the brain replaced...under warranty, then two years another brain...repairman said it was a lemon line of machines...not just us but he was replacing brains every week on this model.

So after a lot of research online....glowing reports of people disgusted with HE machines, front loaders (ours wasn't a front loading) people were absolutely gushing about the Speed Queens. Our store here in Idaho Falls said they are selling 12-20 of the machines a week! YouTube has fan clubs it would appear with people showing videos of the machine washing quilts and comforters....LOL I was so amused that people actually loved a washing machine that much....when I was in a hate relationship with my expensive HE hyped machine.

Well I must admit I'm loving the Speed Queen machine...it's quiet, spins dry well and deep water washing (I determine the depth of water not a computer brain) is my idea of a washing machine. So for now you can still get a quality AMERICAN MADE tub washer.... Dept of Energy will no doubt try to regulate this company eventually too, but for now we can still purchase a commercial grade washing machine for domestic use.

I don't work for Speed Queen, just becoming a real groupy of the machine. Who knew? LOL Maybe I'll have to post a video on YouTube of my machine washing a quilt! <giggles> Wait!!!!! People name their sewing machines and love them guess I'll have to do that with this new WORKING washing machine .... Any name suggestions????
Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM

have you tried setting the color using vinegar in the rinse cycle?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM

Unfortunately, I have had similar problems with a red fabric w/small white print. I bought 10 yards for the back of my DD's quilt. I washed it 6 times with color catchers. The 6th wash was as bad as the lst. I gave up and used another fabric for the back. I will used the 10 yards for a 2 sided comforter and wash it alone. I just had to give up. Sometimes that is the only thing that you can do. A costly mistake on my part. Good luck. Hopefully, you won't have to "give up".
Old 05-30-2013, 05:14 PM

I've never used Retayne, sounds like I should get some. I always have washed in hot water with a hugh amount of vinegar and salt that helps to set the color, then rewashed with detergent and a color catcher.