Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I won a raffle quilt.  Would everyone hate me if I sold it? >

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:08 AM

You may do with it what you want I'd say, beyond turning it into a doggie quilt. It is to beautiful for that. I believe that would be disrespectful to the guild. You could donate it to a favorite cherity, or sell it or give it to someone you feel would treasure it. As long as someone loves it they can't complain.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 AM

I agree with everyone else, it's yours to do what you want with it. I think you are taking a chance of tripping over it and getting hurt, so please fold it up. It is made for a king sized bed. If you sell it, you are responsible for taxes, as a matter of fact just winning it makes you responsible for taxes, but the value is not set in stone. You do have to pay taxes on winnings. I would just not tell the guild members that I sold the quilt. It isn't really any of their business. Would they care it you gave it to one of your children? Just thinking.
Sue
Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM

It is a beautiful quilt but I think there are too many valid reasons why you do not need to keep it. I think I would find a way to sell it but I would not tell anyone or tell anyone how much I got from the proceeds. It is yours and not their business. One other option is that sometimes charity groups have a quilt raffle and they would love to have it. I would think groups like the Humane Society might be interested.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

The quilt is yours now and you can do with it what you want. Are the people in the guild going to be angry, you betcha! Does it matter? My next question is, will you get what it is worth? Good luck even getting $600 for it. You might have some luck on one of the on-line sites like etsy but it is a tough economy out there.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 AM

It is yours to do with as best suits YOUR purposes. I understand the quandry you are in but, do with it as you need to. I had a quilt that was raffled, and the winner only bought a ticket to support the cause and had no interest in the quilt itself. She donated to the person who bought the most tickets, as she felt they really wanted the quilt.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 AM

You won the quilt, it is yours and you are free to sell it. Your friend did you a slight dis service when she said what she did when your name was drawn. You bought raffle tickets to support a cause, you paid your money and you supported the cause.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 AM

You can always 'pass along' a quilt ... who said you had to mention that you sold it?

ali
Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 AM

i don't even get the question...you paid for the tickets, along with a hundred others over the years of other raffles, and now it is yours. If you wish to sell it, it is yours to sell. Put it on ebay with a 600 mininum... it is YOURS...
Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM

I agree with the poster who said to donate it back to the guild. They can raise twice the money, and I'm sure there are others who would gladly pay another dollar or two for another chance to win that gorgeous quilt! I know I would! If you're uncomfortable donating it back to them, pick another organization.

p.s. Next time, if it's a quilt you know you don't want but you still want to support the guild, put someone else's name on the ticket.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 AM

It is a truly lovely quilt, but it is yours. With your difficulties you don't need something that could potentially be dangerous to you. My mother had a quilt that puddled on the ground and one night she got caught in it and broke her ankle. Let someone else who can truly enjoy this buy it from you.