Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she >

Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she

Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she

Old 05-01-2014, 08:52 PM

i always count on 1/2m for binding. i have gotten really lazy lately and stopped doing what i think of as "proper" bias bindings.

and buying 65" of fabric for a total cut of 10" across is bananas. but i get bowing to the advice of the person with the scissors. totally.

aileen
Old 05-01-2014, 09:02 PM

Maybe she got "binding" confused with "borders"? I've heard of doing that for borders, but not for binding. What if your quilt was king-sized? Would she recommend you purchase 11 yards of fabric, so you don't have to piece the binding?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:05 PM

I was at Joanns last week and didnt know how much backing I needed. I went over to the 2 plus rows of quilting books that were for sale and found a pattern in the book that was about the same size as my quilt top. Good source of information!!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:13 PM

I sometimes use wof good when ive used 108 wide fabric as less joins, for binding, sometimes I use the length particularly if its a strip I've saved from trimming the extra off of a backing of another quilt and it matches and I've also used bias because I like the way the bias cut looks. it's my quilt and I cut my binding depending on what I fancy and what fabric I have at the time. The quilt police dont visit my house
Old 05-02-2014, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

next time you need to purchase binding fabric- first find how long of a binding you need- (your current project of 41x61=)
41+41+61+61= 204", I generally add about 10" for joining ends & mitering corners- so now you are at 214" needed
divide that total by 40" (figuring cutting off the salvages- that's an average length) you need 5 1/2 strips (figure 6)
6 strips x your 2 1/2" width comes to 15" (so, a 1/2 yard would have been enough)
any other size- figure it the same way- the two measurements x 2 (for all 4 sides to bind) plus excess for joins, corners- figure the number of strips needed-based on the usable width of the fabric- then multiply the number of strips by the width of the strips to see how many inches of fabric you need.
I have found most Joanne's employees know very little about the products the store sells- are seldom sewer's or crafters- most of them at our local are college students who needed a 'retail' job. any retail would work.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:28 AM

Most of the time when I go to JoAnn's I don't think the person at the cutting table knows much about sewing. It's just a job for them. Local quilt shops hire people generally who are quilters and love to help people.

I piece my bindings all the time. Sometimes I use bias binding, sometimes straight grain but I always piece them on the bias so the seam is nearly invisible. When you consider once the binding is in place you have less than 1/2" visible from either side and the seam is slanted because you've sewn it on the bias what difference does it make that you've been thrifty with your fabric and pieced it. The only thing I watch out for is to not have a seam on a corner but a quick audition of the binding on the quilt will give you a place to start so that doesn't happen. For that matter I also piece my borders. Again I sew the seam on the bias because it hides it more. For most prints and dark fabrics you have to really search for the seam.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:33 AM

I honestly don't think it matters. My mom would take left over fabric and cut them into 2-1/2" pieces and sew them together and use up her fabric in the binding. I usually would get more than I need so that I would have leftovers. Everyone does something different. I usually like one piece on all four sides. That is my preference. I cut the vertical one piece long (make two) and horizontal one piece wide (make two). It is the finish part of the quilt and I like it finished with one long strip. It doesn't matter. Whatever you want to do is ok. I haven't had problems with the Roseville, Minn. JoAnn's. They are all quite knowledgeable even if they are not quilters. As a matter of fact, I made a horrific mistake by cutting some white on white which was going to be the backing and cut about six strips that was going to be sashing. I took it to JoAnn's and they immediately. They figured out that I had exactly enough uncut to make a one piece backing and still have fabric left over. My store is smart. Love that store!!!!!

Edie
Old 05-02-2014, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
she wasn't wrong.
she just gave you advice based on her training and opinion.

either way is correct.
I agree! I usually do not cut either borders or binding on the length of fabric since I think it takes too much fabric. But It can be done that way. I ALWAYS get a little extra fabric just to be on the safe side so put the extra 1/2 yd on your stash. Also there are book and info on line that will tell you how much fabric to buy for tops, border, bindings etc. Next time go prepared!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kitty10628 View Post
I was at Joanns last week and didnt know how much backing I needed. I went over to the 2 plus rows of quilting books that were for sale and found a pattern in the book that was about the same size as my quilt top. Good source of information!!
Great idea!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

PatriceJ is correct. Either way is correct.