Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'd like to join a quilt guild.  However... >

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

I'd like to join a quilt guild. However...

Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 PM

The most fun I have is in my mini-group! I've been a past president of a large guild, and yes, there are snobs, clickish groups that do not want any new comers........that is sorry to say, but it's true. However, almost 13 years ago, I started a mini-group in my home. I was a member of a Thimbleberries group and the quilt store allowed me to post my first meeting....I had a total of 4. Gradually we invited others and the group hovers around 10 to 12. We take turns meeting at ladies homes, providing refreshments and show and tell. Every year we try to do a project together, whether it is a round robin or whatever, we all have fun. I hope you are able to find a local group of ladies that you 'mesh' with! BTW, I have not been a member of any guild for a long time, being president was enough to do me in.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

I have not been a member of any guild for a long time, being president was enough to do me in.
Ha! I was President for two terms at my guild. Many of the chairman and officers got sick, moved, or died, all in that time. I was doing the newsletter, secretary, and treasurer and programs every month until I could find someone to step up and help and had to put up with the older members gripping about no table cloths on the lunch tables. That's all they came for, the lunch. The guild almost fell apart the last year, no one would do anything. At the last few meeting we had lots of new members join that were eager to jump in and help. Now my guild is strong with many new younger members. Oh we not only got rid of the table cloths we got rid of the lunch tables. HA.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 PM

I thought you ate lunch before you went to the meeting and then did quilting things at meetings? I do not belong to any. I did join the one in Minot, but decided I did not want to drive 2 hrs during nice weather to listen to other women talk about what fancy smancy things they made. I wanted to dive right in an do sewing or quilting. Never happened, so I spend my money on more fabric or something that I can help someone else out with.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 PM

So sorry that happened to you, but you are better off without them. It's their loss. Move on, do your own "thing", or find a group deserving of your company. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 PM

I only belong to one local club and that one is for wood turners. They're a great bunch of people.
Sorry for your bad experience with the guild. Really sorry they said they were Christian while they were busy snubbing you. It's not the same Christianity I was taught, that's for sure. No group can last without welcoming at least a few new members and as a Christian one they should have been excited to have you join. A huge part of the faith is spreading the word after all. If you're on facebook you can try searching for a quilting group in your county or town. I wouldn't be surprised if you find more than one. If you don't find a local group it shouldn't be too hard to start your own.

What is the difference between a guild and a club anyway?
Rodney
Old 11-06-2013, 04:17 AM

I am so sorry this happened to you, but I would like to suggest that you not negatively paint an entire group of people with such a broad brush just because the women in this guild treated you poorly. There are good and bad in every group of people. You unfortunately happened upon one that was quite thoughtless and rude. That doesn't mean every guild with upscale members and/or church members will be. I've been a part of many church quilting groups that never in a million years would have treated you or anyone else that way.

So, good luck finding your next group. I hope wherever you end up, it's one that fits you perfectly.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:25 AM

I'm very sorry you had such a bad experience. Our guild CAMEO (Come and Meet Each Other) has approximately 76 members. We have our ups and downs like everything else but really they are a wonderful group of people. We do encourage new people to join and we have someone from our membership committee show them around for a couple of meetings. Please check out other guilds and give them a chance. You will learn so much from others. I originally joined my guild with a friend who ended up moving but I have met so many great people it didn't matter. I hope you find the right one for you. Check out at LQS if there are any sit and stitch groups around you too.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:37 AM

It is a shame that you and your mom had an unfriendly experience with the guild. Guilds can run the gamut from being loosely organized to very organized. I like mine because the ladies are so welcoming to new members. We can participate as little or as much as we want to when it comes to charity projects, committees and so on. Sometimes it takes a while for new members to get acquainted with other members and vice versa. I hope you will find one that is a good fit for you and your mom.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:54 AM

I'm not really certain what a "guild" consists of. There are several in my general area, but I have not explored them for just the reasons set forth above. I have heard that it is a clique like club of women who believe they are better than any outsiders, so have refrained. Also, if there is a question regarding my choice of religion, I stay away. I no longer discuss what I believe with others because I have been judged one too many times and find it to be unjust and unfounded. What I believe has nothing to do with my ability to be a quilter. I am a member of a small group of quilters, not a club or guild, that meets at our LQS twice a month and we sew and talk and laugh like crazy for those lovely hours. There is nothing pejorative said, the laughter is lighthearted and anyone is welcome. That's an afternoon of joy, not being someplace where people are rude or look down on those who do not believe the same as they do. I am not overstating, I'm sure that in this bug wonderful country, there are many guilds that are welcoming of strangers, just not in this area, from what I've heard.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:00 AM

I'm so sorry for your horrible experience, just remember, you don't need those people to be happy at what you are doing. Don't let their snobbiness validate you. I tell myself that is many situations but then the older I get the more I find few people were raised by the golden rule like me and my sisters, many, many people think of themselves only and not how other people will be affected by their wants and desires. I think about how sad and selfish those people really are and what they are missing out on by holding other people back. Keep doing what you are doing and relish in the enjoyment you receive.